Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keen but currently without land!  (Read 10906 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Keen but currently without land!
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »
Hello!
Introducing myself - I'm Sharon - married with 2 children (boys 5 & almost 3).
Avidly searching for a house with some land in Gloucestershire at the moment - currently living in hospital staff family accomodation and craving a garden at the very least!
Planning on buying somewhere with a couple of acres to grow veggies, keep chickens, maybe a couple of goats - depends on the space.
As soon as we have found the perfect place, I'll let you know, and will be joining in with the rest of you!
Have been reading through some of the forums and can't wait to get started!!
Sharon

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Keen but currently without land!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:32:10 pm »
Hi Sharon and welcome to the TAS forums - keep us posted of developments and we'll offer all assistance short of actual help! ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:56:51 pm »
Welcome, Sharon - you never know there may be other TAS members in Gloucestershire who can help you.  With two little lads you'll need it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:02:45 am »
Hi and welcome, hope you get your land soon.

sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:58:48 am »
Morning, nice to have plans to look forward to, you'll find somewhere soon. ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:41 pm »
Welcome! Maybe you could go on an allotment waiting list or try the landshare sites? :&>

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:33:15 pm »
DONT GIVE UP YOUR DREAM SHARON, I  WAS DOWNHEARTED THINKING THAT WE COULD EVER AFFORD TO BUY A PLACE WITH LAND BUT SUDDENLY FATE SEAMED TO PLAY ITS HAND AND EVERYTHING JUST FELL INTO PLACE , WE ARE SOON MOVING INTO A NEW HOME WHERE WE WILL HAVE A 2 AND 1/2 ACRE FIELD - BLISS

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 06:08:55 pm »
Thanks all - we think we have found somewhere in the beautiful forest of dean and will be making an offer soon! However 2 acres (out of 3) of the land has quite a slope. There are currently sheep grazing on it (neighbouring farmer who pays by way of lamb joints!). Any other suggestions?
I currently work on a mental health unit and we have a large allotment, complete with chickens :chook: - that's just about keeping me going!!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 01:12:50 am »
Hello

Welcome to the forum, the Forest of Dean sounds lovely, but make sure that there are no tenancy agreements on the land that you have to adhere to in the future.

We live on a mountain so all our land is on a slope - it depends what you wish to do with it, if you are not sure - do not buy the place - the right one will come along for you.

best wishes
Julie and Joe

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:45:20 pm »
Hi Sharon

I now live in Brittany France but from Bristol before.........not far from you

Welcome

Carole x

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 06:27:45 pm »
Hi Sharon...welcome to TAS...I'm sure you will find a place, just keep the dream in mind.

Best of luck
Farmer
 :farmer:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:16:49 pm »
I'm back with an update!

We've just had an offer accepted on a lovely property in the Forest of Dean. It has approx 4 acres - the main paddock being approx 2 acres, an acre of orchard (bees?) and the rest being gardens. It comes complete with a chicken house for 100  :chook:'s!

We hope to move late September - not sure when we'd get around to installing livestock - as a newbie I'd welcome advice as to whether there is a prefered time of year to do this!

All excited now!

sandy

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 09:27:57 pm »
Great news, you will have many sleepless excited nights planning what goes where! Is there much to do on the house? Keep us posted and have a good move, Sept is just around the courner...we always move in September!!!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 09:54:47 pm »
Thanks Sandy - absolutely nothing to do to the house - it was renovated & extended only 5 years ago so we can spend all our time & energy (& money!) on the outside! The house has even got a jacuzzi - perfect after a day's digging the veggie patch!

The outside is pretty OK too actually. We're planning on relocating the hen house to a more accessible area - it's currently in the paddock in a spot which would be perfect for pigs!
We want to keep some of the garden as a play area for the boys but will let some of it go to a duck pond and our 'pet' chickens.

Had salad for dinner tonight - can't wait until it's all 'home grown'!!  ;D

sandy

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »
When you move in you will have to post some pics!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS