Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Everything Must Go. Selling up for good. So sad  (Read 22525 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Everything Must Go. Selling up for good. So sad
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:33 am »
My OH has decided that she will leave me unless we downsize and get rid of all our animals and smallholding supplies.
I am so upset but my relationship is more important. So we have the following available:
A mixed herd of approx 20 sheep including one Grey Faced Dartmoor ram (aged approx 4 years, proven, friendly and bucket trained) and 7 grey faced dartmoor ewes (some should still be in lamb, due in the next 3-4 weeks), 5 grey faced dartmoor lambs (4 boys and one girl, aged between 2 and 4 weeks), 6 shetland ewes (one has lambed a cross breed ewe lamb and the rest should be due to lamb in the next 3 - 4 weeks)  and a number of cross bred ewes (GFD cross with Shetland).
1 pig arc, a little tatty but will do the job
2 x large 6 foot by 4 foot chicken coops with pitched felted rooves. Integrated large nest boxes on side , full size door and pop hatch. Very good nick and originally bought for 700 quid each.
3 smaller chicken coops. One for approx 6 -8 chickens and the others for 3-4 chickens
Approx 15 red hens (rescues who are approx 2 years old, well feathered and healthy and laying well)
One stunning cross breed cockeral, white with black, who runs with our red hens
Some araucana cross hens laying stunning blue/green eggs, home bred.
One lavender araucana cockeral
A mixture of bantam hens and cockerals: silkies, seebrights, polands, pekins and araucana crosses
one pony trailer. A little tatty but has done us well over the years and has been regularly checked and serviced
on ride on lawnmower with harrow attachment, trailer and leaf collector unit
A 2nd hand walk in chiller which be bought to use for meat storage. It is dismantled and will need some new cables. Approx 6m x 6m (I haven't measured it for a while but if anyone interested, I will get the exact measurements)
A stainless steel double sink unit and a stainless steel work unit with fridge/freezer built in underneath, both bought to put in our new cutting room
Various other fridges and freezers
Various buckets, Fence posts, electric fence poles etc
Anyone needing to stsock up their smallholding, do get in touch. I am willing to take offers.
We are based in Bampton, in West Oxfordshire and you would need to collect.
Look forward to hearing from you. Please give my animals a good home, I am devastated to let them go and would hate for them to have to go to market.
Pip

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Everything Must Go. Selling up for good. So sad
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:38 am »
Sorry to hear your bad news, Pip, but wishing you all the very best in sorting out your relationship and in finding homes for your livestock.

:hug: :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:13 am »
Awwww.... so sorry plt102 - keep your chin up  :hug:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:39:50 am »
That must be so very hard for you.  Have PM'd you regarding some items.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:41:59 am »
Its a hard decision and I have just given up mostly too. But its often the right decision and its very brave to actually make it. Wishing you all the very best  :thumbsup:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:53:14 am »
Really sorry to read this Pip. You aren't far away from here and I'd love to help (except my oh has said similar) I will listen out for anyone nearby who might be able to help. We have smallholding friends in Oxford who keep goats and sheep. Drop me a PM if there's anything I can help you with x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:58:31 am »
Hope everything works out for you even better than you could possibly imagine  :fc:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
SO sorry but sometimes we have to change course to keep on track, lots of people are in the same boat right now, very hard times for us all!!! :hug:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:13:21 pm »
will you be happey spend more time to gether iv cut back my other half dosent like all the animals markit etc .But i still go for week ends away with my son .I hope things work out but i notice folk dont like hard work

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:31:38 pm »
yep it was the hard work at first, then I sold my horses hoping it would help and started doing all the work on my own apart for the odd time when I was out or needed some help.
That wasn't good enough either. So angry and upset. I just hope I can find good homes for them all.
Maybe us smallholders should all ditch our lazy OH's who don't like our passion about the good life and get together, then we could have our cake and eat it ;-)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »

Maybe us smallholders should all ditch our lazy OH's who don't like our passion about the good life and get together, then we could have our cake and eat it ;-)

:thumbsup:  with you on that one  ;)  take care Pip xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 01:44:22 pm »
Is there no way you can reach a compromise? I couldn't bear having to give all my animals up and I would most certainly resent my OH if he forced me to  :-\ . Hope they find lovely homes and I hope your OH appreciates your sacrifice   :hshoe:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 01:50:37 pm »
Nope, she was looking at new smallholdings with me only a few weeks ago. We were going to upsize and I was even enquiring on here about getting some dexters and reaaly expanding our operation, then she drops it on me that she hates it and I either give everything up or she leaves me.
The problem is that I would have to sell eveything even if she left me as we would have to split the money so I don't have any choice.
Really miserable right now. Thanks for all your support. Really helps. Hugs

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 01:56:07 pm »
Such sad news, hope your downsizing does help, some people just never seem satisfied  :-\ I'm afraid I'm another who would resent OH if he tried to push me to alter my life in such a drastic way.  :hug:  :hug:

I could do with some things on offer but you are so far away  :'( if anybody is travelling up mort ish I could meet halfway but it is asking a lot.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »
where are you mammyshaz? I can maybe transport some things

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS