Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My animals  (Read 3159 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
My animals
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:23:49 pm »
Almost 7 weeks ago my great niece, Niamh was born. She has become a huge part of our lives and she comes to visit often. My niece (her mother) always thinks I am off my head when she hears I have bought "another" animal. So, last week I announced to her that all the 40 ish of them would be left in Niamhs name in my will. This she just pretended not to hear.

So, today when Niamh was visiting I thought it was time to take her outside and introduce her to all her animals. She had a great time and even sat on the back of 2 of the Miniature Shetlands. Her face got dirty off the goats that came to see what I had in my arms and her mum and gran were not impressed. However, all the excitement and horse riding tired her out and she has slept since she went home. I argued that since she was getting to touch and feel so many animals at a very young age she should get her system sorted out and not suffer any allergies from them. Also if she is brought up with animals in her life she hopefully will develop a love and understanding of all the animals and know no fear. We did get some great pictures of her, how many other 6 week old babies get the chance to go horse riding eh? ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: My animals
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:32:40 pm »
What a lovely thing to do with Niamh.  I was introduced to animals at an early age, being from a farming family.  I have pictures of me with hens, cows, the farm horses etc.  when I was small.  I am sure that is why I am now surrounded by lots and lots of animals.  I am sure Niamh will grow up to love animals with you to encourage her!!!

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:00:45 am »
I have to admit that I agree, kids should be dirty and grasp every new experience with open arms!
When I was young I was very allergic to all animals, we even had to move as the man next door had pigeons and it was playing havoc with my asthma. We were not allowed any pets of any sort at home incase I either had an asthma attack or my skin became so itchy that I would scratch all night and end up with bloodied skin!!

I have been in my "farming life" now for 15 years and I have never had an asthma attack and my skin is 99% better.

I firmly beleive that you build up a better resistance to things if you spend time with them.

Works for me......

Get your kids dirty!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:09:06 am »
I agree totally.  My kids have always had animals - my son had two Russian hamsters at 12 and bred tropical fish.  He breeds water snails now (and sells them!).  My daughter loves cats and has a black one at the moment, her kids love animals too especially the youngest, Katie who's 2 and goes daft when she hears my name - not fro me - for my animals!  It's good for kids - they learn respect for animals too.  But as for leaving all your animals to Niamh - does Kenny have a say in this?  And will there possibly be other great nieces or nephews?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:13:11 am »
As much as Kenny is "smitten" by all these animals they are really all mine! Ofcourse he would look after them, he is always saying "that's the last - no more" ha ha ha. I hope there will be more great nieces or nephews but Niamh is the first I guess and I said it knowing it would terrify her parents. Funnily enough my sister has very little interest in the animals - she looks after them when we go away but there is no "connection", other than with the dogs. Strange how brother and sister can be so different.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:45:25 am »
I love my animals and like you talk to them, the Ducks are getting much tamer and come to me but not eating from my hand yet, I still am fascinated why they shove the Black Rocks out of the way gently but run from the Ex Battery Hens, maybe it's a class thing and they are snobs but they are gorgeousI really want to give them a kiss :-* I love your goats James, they look so micheviouse, I am sure animals use telepathy!!!!!!! I remembber being very cross years ago when they showed a picture of Bridget Bardot looking rough as they said but she loves her animals and I look up to her! well she is taller than me ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS