Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If there was a show for smallholders...  (Read 4695 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
If there was a show for smallholders...
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:32:41 pm »
in Scotland, would you be interetsed in going along?

Also, what would you want to come and see?

sandy

Re: If there was a show for smallholders...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:00:00 pm »
We would love to go to he highland show but toooooo pricy to get in, anyway, on a very small basis, I would love there to be a local market stall occasionaly in Clackmannan local produce,veg, meat, honey, plants, eggs etc..... It would be great to bring life back into the place

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 11:16:52 pm »
I'd go to a smallholders show - I'd like to meet people who have a lot of experience growing veg, animals etc, would like perhaps to have talks or demos, produce to purchase.  Animals and poultry to see, maybe competitions too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:58:16 am »
I'd come and bring my pigs as no-one in Scotland shows them. In fact I'd fill my trailor with stuff, it would be great!!

sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:14:05 am »
Another thought, someone could provide the venue on a smallish scale, and everyone help set up and cler up after, not sure about the rest of the costs such as first aid etc but car booters seem to do OK. A great idea, I still w ould  LOVE to have a small market type event in Clackannan, sometimes we do get a few stalls set up.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:02:38 am »
I'm thinking something a bit bigger than a market stall locally, no disrespect sandy, 'cos I think that would be a great idea too.

Having been to the Smallholder and Garden Festival in Wales and to the Highland Show, I got to thinking. Wles is a long way away from Scotland and the North of England. I'm more thinking something along the lines of the Wales event - I wish more folk from the Association had been able to go.

There was a sale of vintage (old) machinery and equipment; poultry, pigs, sheep and goats; no cattle classes; lots of Welsh food; a green energy / living hall. It wasn't big - about 25,000 visitors.

As I walked round the RHS yesterday, I was thinking of the various exhibitors and stands - you would be good, you wouldn't etc.

As a smallholder or aspiring smallholder - what would you want to see?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »
defo a place for it,

I was thinking  where could it be held.

Things that would be good to see is a working crafts tent

working demo of things to do on a smallholding

Poultry
goats
sheep
cows

rare breeds ?

Local guilds that would have stuff to do with products from a smallholders (eg bees keepers, spinners and weavers)

Linz

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:03:55 pm »
Would love to see rare breed pigs, Dexter and other 'unusual' cattle. Would also be great if you could buy livestock and poultry at it. Food could also be a great idea like 'pig on a spit' (I remember once going to something sheep orientated near le Mont Saint Michel in Normandy, many moons ago, where they had dug pits and did legs of lamb on top like a sort of giant BBQ (ever heard of it Ree?). Perhaps the French contingent could import (smuggle  ;D) a container of wine in and sell it on......and don't mention the liquor licensing laws  :'(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:39:18 pm »
I am not in Scotland, but hope you do not mind my input on this!!

Some years ago I went to a smallholders show over at the Great Yorkshire Showground.  I keep hoping to see it advertised again, but haven't.  Maybe its still on every year and I miss it.  I really enjoyed it.  There were lots of trade stands of interest to the smallholders......and demonstrations going on.  There were plenty of folk visiting so I am sure whatever you organise would be a success. 

Personally, I think its a good idea, and for me, practical demonstrations on laying hedges, dry stone walling, draining fields, help with choosing suitable tractors and equipment for small scale use, as well as advice on livestock and feeding .....reps from feed companies etc.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 09:03:00 am »
Would be great to have one here too, although the huge distances would probably make it unwealdy. 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 12:35:39 pm »
I'd love to go to a Central Scotland show for smallholders, I don't really want to travel further than about an hour though.
Of course I would want to see the birds, but with proper information about breeds, housing, feed etc. provided! I miss that with the other shows I've been to, they just seem to be a playground for the folks who want to win prizes (that applies to all the other animals as well)...We need more information about issues smallholders or wannabe smallholders are interested in! :&>

sandy

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »
THings I would love to see are :-local craft demonstrations, especialy wood carving, I really want a huge wooden totom pole but with Chicken and Duck faces ;D ;D and I want a set of seats and a table made of wood but looking like mushrooms  :squash: Someone making cheap Poultry housing and selling plans and ready cut bits, A stall selling herds etc and what to do with them, also wild foods for free, Home made wine and beer tasing and buying, ALl foody things, plenty of try before  you buy and of course to be able to buy and sell lifestock and equiptment and gadgets (we all like to come away with something).  I could go on but I must get on and plant the stuff we bought from a car boot!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS