Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What price for a good Buff Orpington hen?  (Read 4894 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What price for a good Buff Orpington hen?
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:32 pm »
I have just been quoted a price of £20 from Pen-Rhiw-Garn Poultry Suuplies for a Buff Orpington hen.

The breeder is reputable and I bought three POL RIRs from them three years ago and they are still going strong and laying well - so I expect the BOs to be good quality birds and I am happy to pay a bit of a premium for that.

My question is - is this a reasonable price for a good quality Buff Orpington? I don't really know the market price for these hens.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:21:51 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: What price for a good Buff Orpington hen?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:48 pm »
£20 is okay
good orp hens can be up to £50 -60 for top end birds
you might get a hen cheaper else where but if you are happy with the breeder you are only gonna save yourself 5 or 10 pounds at most and then you take the chance

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:47:58 pm »
Hi,I should say that was a very good price,assuming the bird was good quality and point of lay.

Graham.
Graham.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:20:44 pm »
Yes - I looked on pre-loved (should've done that in the first place really - sorry!) and am very happy with the price, especially since I will be able to pick them up on my way home so no extra travel costs incurred :-D

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:18:55 pm »
Yep, I paid  £30-£35 for my good quality Buff Orp hens - in the South East though.

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:39:09 am »
Paid £30 each for ours (5 years ago) and they were good but not the best. Show strains tend not to lay well and ours laid 200 medium sized eggs. When crossed with a utility orpington the offspring laid 200 large eggs -lucky us, as some show strains will only lay 50 eggs a year. We didn't ask when we bought them. So be careful what you buy Suziequeue.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:59:10 pm »
Luckily I'm not wanting the Orps for their egg laying skills but for their broodiness so I'll not be crying into my beer if they aren't great layers but I do like their big feathery bottoms.

Other alternatives will be along the silkie lines but I prefer the look of the Orpingtons.

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 02:59:33 pm »
I took a 2yr old hen to leek market last week, nothing special she sold for £22. I was over the moon!!!!!!!!

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:26:10 pm »
Thats a good price if its a good hen. I have paid up to £60 for a well put together lady. Even at auction they can go for quite a bit more. Just depends on the quality.  ;D
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:44:28 pm »
A big chicken breeder my way always said that his Orps were the cornerstone of his business. He didn't like them but there was always demand and in Spring they made him the best money.  He had a little London niche Market and made a small fortune doing weekly trips to the smoke.  Not the best quality, £50 a bird!

AndrewMBaines

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:05:35 am »
We incubated some for a friend a couple of years ago - 8 hatched, we kept 2. Looks like we got a good deal - had no idea they were so expensive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS