Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubation question...  (Read 2246 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Incubation question...
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »
We set 7 eggs into my incubator and we are 3 days from "hatch"

At 7 days we had 100% as in all 7 were fertile. Today we candled to check how things were and only 2 seem the right size. The others are all really small still.

Everything is set as it should be and I have been successful before in hatching.  My incubator is automatic so turns them and will tell me if there are temp or power problems and nothing has shown up....

Whats gone wrong? can they develop slowly?

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Incubation question...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:07:06 pm »
sounds like they have stopped growing as shouldnt be that much behind might be worth putting the 2 good ones at one end and the others the other end of incubator and candle again in a couples days.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:40:54 pm »
Hi,
Hope your hatch goes well.  I was surprised when I incubated that two hatched a few days before the others.  I had given up on the rest of the eggs but left the incubator switched on.  It was a nice surprise.  Are they all the same breed? That might make a difference.  I agree that it could be that some have just stopped growing. 

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:51:44 am »
same breed, they came from our 2 hens

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:04:04 am »
Could be a bacterial infection Rachel, that has killed the embryos. Usually happens early on. Did you use egg sanitizer and clean the incubator thoroughly?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:06:36 am »
Ahhh that could be it! They are at like 9 days stage. I cant be sure its been cleaned with sanitizer as my dad sorted it. If that is the case lesson learnt!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44:14 pm »
I clean any non electrical bits with a steam cleaner, the little nozzle gets into all the awkward places,
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS