Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice when buying a place with land?  (Read 5393 times)

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Advice when buying a place with land?
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:16:41 pm »
After a false start with one property (too expensive and too much work needed) we are now in the process of buying another place in the same sort of area (North Pennines). As we worked our way through the paperwork and solicitors questions etc,  I wondered whether there was anything crucial we should be asking during this phase of the process? There are many things we will have to learn as we go along but I'd rather not make a dumb mistake at the beginning which might have been avoided...

I have already asked our solicitor to get information from the current owner on the CPH number, any SPS entitlements and any environmental stewardship schemes if applicable.

The property has about 15 acres in total with some areas of woodland, a spring water supply, oil central heating and septic tank (all of which are new to me) but at least it has mains electricity. I'd say more about the property but I'm still worried that talking about it will jinx the whole deal! 

My knowledge so far has only come from some limited reading on the web and in books/magazines so any general advice would be great. 

Thanks in advance!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Advice when buying a place with land?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:12:38 pm »
Some questions to ask

Has the water supply ever run dry or close to dry
When was the septic tank put in, how often emptied if ever (never isn't a bad answer provided there haven't been blockages
Anyone else take water supply from the land or just over the boundary ( we found next door but ones water supply comes from just over the boundary from us on neighbours land, which means he can have cattle churning up ground and using sprays but we have to be really careful as the water is effective,y coming from our ground )
What is the fencing like ( costs a lot to do, one of the biggest costs). Can be a hassle if stock fom neighbours keep straying and if you want to keep stock
Anyone have shooting rights on the land as they can be separate to the land purchase
Anyone been renting the ground in recent years and on what terms
What is the mobile reception like and which company has best reception
Any rights of way or permissive paths
Any planning applications locally and check local plan for any longer terms plans for surrounding land
Access, is it undisputed and in your ownership, if not what are the arrangements, any past issues with it?

Some Of these will be on the standard questionnaire but the land ones not so much.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »
That's some good questions you've raised - a few I'd already thought of like foot paths (there is one across the land) and the water supply (I'm rold it has run dry only twice in 10-12 years)

I think that nearly all extyernal boundaries are dry stone walled and they looked in good condition to my untrained eye. I'm kind of looking forward to doing a dry stone walling course once we've settled in a bit!

Most of the other questions I will definitely need to check up on so thanks for that!  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:28 pm »
Twice in a decade would worry me a bit with the water, what did they do when that happened (since the water companies now privatised have no obligation to provide any which is bad for people but even more so for any livestock.)

Boreholes can often get over that issue but they cost £00000s to put in and that's assuming the government doesn't decide to start restricting news ones. If it were me buying I  would be budgeting for one sooner rather than later ( we are on just a well but ours has never run dry even when they used to run cattle who drink a LOT of water) good job really as there are no aquifers up here.

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:38 pm »
If you buy it don't do anything to it for at least a year.
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:22:10 am »
Regarding the water - I'm told (but haven't checked officially yet) that mains water has been run to the property although it was never connected up so hopefully that could be available as a back-up if needed.

As for the other suggestion about not doing anything for a year - I hope to contain my impatience a little bit by avoiding anything major but I can't promise to do absolutely nothing at all!  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:53:10 am »
I'm not sure that information on the CPH number will help you unless it works differently there to Wales.
The people here previously had a CPH and a pig herd number but I was told that I would need to apply for new ones. It was no great problem and they came through quickly enough. I think its just more a matter of formalities.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:11:55 am »
I'm pretty sure the CPH is 'yours' rather than the properties so you need to contact the relevant office to obtain it. Same with flock and herd numbers.

Fencing (state of and costs to repair), access to deliver and round up livestock into a trailer, footpaths (ie. can peoples dogs worry your stock) and water are the ones that spring to my mind.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:53:16 am »
Maybe check if kitchen and bathroom grey water also goes into a the septic tank. Our does not - it simply runs in a pipe into the garden. Fine except when we have lots of rain and we can not use the washing machine or kitchen sinks for a few days.
Also - our septic tank was put in for a family of 2-4. Six visitors and 3 little girls pulling the chain everytime they opened the toilet door mean it filled up and we had to buy a camping toilet to use for 2 weeks !

Good luck and I hope that all goes smoothley !
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:42:18 am »
thanks again for the useful comments and ideas

After a quick kick up the backside for my mortgage company I think things are moving forward again now - fingers crossed for April or at the latest May with any luck.

In the meantime I've been watching the recent snowy weather forecasts for the North Pennines with interest ...

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:24:53 pm »
Please make sure that the land you are buying is correctly registered with the land registery and what you are buying matchs or when you buy it your solicter registers it.
 We bought a small farm last year. When we went to check the seachess and i looked at the plans they did not match what we were buying. The Vender had sold some land but both he and the buyers soliciter had nit registerd the sale so in law he still owned the land. Of course no one wanted to own up to the mistake so a simple sale took months a 3 solicters were involved and all the paperwork had to be done the same day.
Our own solicter was pretty rubbish also, did not mention septic tank registration, and the drainage charges from the drainage board or how that would effect plants trees, hedges,  and fencing of fields. Also it seems commen with family farms that the water pipes run across fields to supply other properties that are now sold on.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 11:36:13 pm »
When we bought our place the land registry registered it for the first time and tried to give us 20 acres of hill we hadn't bought....we pointed out the mistake....but no one else noticed!!

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24:27 am »
I would advise:
1 - Yes, don't talk too much otherwise you'll jinx it......I think. As we did the same when we moved. Mum and sister + the sellers of the place knew (they are friends). Anyway, it all went through fine...so keepining Stumm does work ;)

2 - Try and leave it for a year. We are also trying to do this and drawing rough plans of the cultivated areas near to the house to get a grasp of what is where and how things "look" in the various seasons so, for example, I do not pop the polytunnel in a frost pocket/wintertime water hole etc.

Very best of luck
Sskye
Rgds
Sskye

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:32 am »
Similar thread here: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=32705.0
Message me if you think I might be able to help.
Best wishes
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:50:23 am »
Thanks for the link - I don't know how I missed that other post

That reminds me, it's time I had another read of your Haynes manual... for the umpteenth time!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS