Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fruit netting  (Read 4993 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
fruit netting
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:51:42 pm »
just how secure does it need to be - i mean, obviously it needs to be secured in place - but will the birds find any wee nook to get in and then destroy my crop???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: fruit netting
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 03:53:53 pm »
Simple answer - yes and yes!  I don't bother though, just me so I'm willing to share.  However, I DO NOT share with slugs - horrid things yuk!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:52:35 pm »
cages are best, but pricy. I hate netting but we'd have none left without. Trouble is that it lasts one season as it tears with every twig or nettle stuck in it when you take it down. we tried different ones, cheap ones, expensive ones, no difference. make sure it's fine, the holes of pea climbing nets are big enough for birds to get through. also, before you put it up, check for small birds nesting - we had casualties one year for not paying attention to that, they couldn't get out to feed their young. the blasted blackbirds sit on the outside of the net on a branch and just peck through it (I'd love to bake them in a pie!), it's not enough that they feed on my birds' feed all day... (no sharing spirit here, lol) :&>

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:43:12 pm »
I built a fruit cage for the strawbs very cheaply out of canes and 40mm drain pipe. Cut the pipe into 2 inch lengths,then drill a hole through one wall of the pipe big enough to take the end of the cane,a second hole at 90 degrees an inch above or below the first hole. Now it's just a question of mechano-like skills to put it all together to make a frame.(tip;put the uprights in first) The netting is draped over,and on mine,hooked over nails on the outside of the boards that form the raised bed. Will try to get a pic if anyone wants one....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:37:27 pm »
 yes I would like a photo as I am having difficulty visualising you cages. (Thick or what?)

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:30:15 pm »

Yes please a pic would be great  :apple:

I need to start anew with my soft fruit which I put in last winter - the dog eats the strawberries just as they get ripe so I've not even had one so far  :( (they're in strawberry planters on the patio) and the wild rabbits ate my blueberry bushes down to nothing  :censored:. We'll be building a fruit cage with rabbit fencing on the bottom BEFORE putting in fruit next time!!!! However we did get 3 blackcurrents (ooooo) and are waiting for 2 gooseberries to ripen!! I'm too impatient for this gardening lark!!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:51:54 pm »
The strawberry cage........... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:01:14 pm »
That's good. You pay a fortune for these commercially.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS