Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taking the piss!  (Read 6707 times)

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
Taking the piss!
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:54:48 am »
Ok not sure where to put this!!
Has anyone had any experience of using urine (their own or other peoples) on the garden as a fertiliser?

Andrew ;D
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: Taking the piss!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:07:21 am »
i have the occasional pee on the compost heap

if you want to use it as a liquid fertiliser you need to dilute it about 10-1

don't use it on your carrots, they don't like too much nitrogen.

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:52:05 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=6xPqyF9CVRE

hello Andrew,
                the above link is for a video about the use of an ecosan toilet . Zen has a great setup on the roof of his house . Greywater filter with phragmites that supplies water to his rice paddy and then the ecosan loo . He has a few videos on his system , and all are very interesting .   As for the wee, as already stated , use it on plants diluted 10-1 or even down to 20-1, or use it one the compost heap direct . It is stated that mens pee is better than womens , something to do with hormones I expect ? but either are ok to use . There may be a problem with anyone who is on the pill . That sounds like a silly statement , but even water treatment plants can't sort that problem out  !!!! hence big problems with fish in rivers. So as long as the person who is providing the pee isn't on any heavy medication , then all should be fine . The same applies id you were to use the ecosan loo, or compost loo if you prefer. As long as the contributors aren't on heavy meds  then all should be ok . I use a compost loo and can state that it does work without any smell or any flies at all . It uses no water , doesn't pollute the rivers or the sea, and supplies nutrients back too the land rather than taking them away. If you don't fancy using it on veg you could use it on comfrey or willow. However , after 2 years composting , it is almost exactly the same as potting compost, no matter who's bum it came out of.   

cheers

Russ   

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:05:54 pm »
a composting toilet is on my list of things to investigate this year (i almost said "to look into" but I think that might be boak inducing!!!)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:53:49 pm »
I have asked my OH to wee on the compost heap (don't like to do it myself because of the nettles lol), apparently it's a catalyst. Also around the fence to keep foxes away, can't blame them that they don't like the smell! :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 04:58:42 pm »
hiya all it'll only work with male pee not female pee, it all about the hormones that blokes produces and not  the female kind sorry

Linz

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 05:18:52 pm »
it does still do the same job Linz, male or female , just that womens wee tends to have extra hormones . There is no proof, either way, that I have seen, that womens wee harms any more than mens ? just that the pill does do harm and is hard to filter out . People with kidney problems shouldn't be used to supply it for direct use as a fertiliser either , but I haven't read any definitive proof that it is harmfull if composted properly. The Chinese have used it for thousands of years , both direct and composted , and they seem ok on it so far... ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 08:11:32 pm »
Dan pees in the compost bin - I thought it was just a teritory thing ;D

I've never tried it - balancing on the top of the bin would be positively dangerous!

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:35:49 pm »
 :D

now there's an image!!

A
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Wellieboots

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:57:29 am »
Yup, deffo a pee-er into the compost bin......and any weeds that I don't like the look of that lurk on the gravel & aren't edible!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 05:29:15 pm »
centre for alternative technology has been using compost loo's and urine for years do some very good leaflets on it.......................neil

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:41:12 am »
I am going to try that weeing on a straw bale composting thing this year - just really interested to see what happens!

I always get my other half to pee down rabbit holes to deter them - but fortunately girl pee doesn't work for that!

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:28 pm »
OH always pee's in the compost heap when he's working outside.

Even the dogs pee on it now !?!

moorlandman

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 06:15:52 pm »
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if the 'Hops' content of my wee wee would be beneficial or not.

Who's round is it now !!

Cheers

Terry ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 08:56:16 pm »
I am going to try that weeing on a straw bale composting thing this year - just really interested to see what happens!

I always get my other half to pee down rabbit holes to deter them - but fortunately girl pee doesn't work for that!
Blimey, imagine the shock when crouching and a damp bunny pops up!!!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS