Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curing a randy dog  (Read 13115 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Re: Curing a randy dog
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 11:01:01 am »
Sally I think the Tardac are the anti-testosterone injections x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 01:27:03 pm »
I don't know if there is a more modern alternative but tardak is carried in a preparation which also has a slight sedative effect so the results are not exactly mimicking castration. It is still a good drug to use to help reduce the urge to escape alongside preventative measures and training.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 02:53:46 pm »
I don't know if there is a more modern alternative but tardak is carried in a preparation which also has a slight sedative effect so the results are not exactly mimicking castration. It is still a good drug to use to help reduce the urge to escape alongside preventative measures and training.
That sounds like what my aggressive-with-other-male-dogs boy had many years ago - he just got fat and lazy, didn't want to do anything.  Not a solution for me then, but just the ticket for what you want right now, summermeadows!

Because Moses became a fat slob of a dog on anti-testosterone, I didn't get him castrated then, but many years later I did get him castrated (as he was too much of a handful for friends to look after him when I was away on business.)  Over a 12-months period he did calm down on the testosterone-aggression front - but losing his nuts never made him a lazy slob  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 04:35:26 pm »
The implant is much more like castration, Tardack was mostly used for prostate probs and anal adenomas. But its not used much any more as there are better things to use. Tardack also did have side effects.

A friend of mine used the implant- her dogs testicles shrunk up and he settled down nicely (he is a bit of a stress head and hormones make him worse). After 6 months his 'plumbs' went back to normal and his stressy behaviours reappeared. She then had him castrated and his behaviour improved.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS