Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What time do you eat?  (Read 8505 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: What time do you eat?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 09:28:55 pm »
In theory we eat at 6:30pm, but in practice, it depends on work or shift patterns. Mostly, we eat at 7 or 7:15pm as if the OH doesn't finish work until 6 it can take him over an hour to get home.... I don't normally get home until 6:30 most of the time. We are lucky that my mum cooks for us during the week(mon-thurs), so it is ready when we get in.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »
We eat at 6-6.30pm with the children.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:55 pm »
Since I am milking the goats we normally eat around 8pm (and I don't do different tea for the human kids), but it can get later. I have found that I needed to change what I cook - it's either in the oven to cook while I am milking or it takes max 15 mins to cook (like sausages, but our quick ready-meals are re-heated stuff from the day before  :-J ). Suits us fine.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 05:32:31 am »
Late ! 8:00 - 9:00 PM except when we have visitors who we feed from 7:00 onwards.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 06:57:29 am »
Having little children, we eat around 5.30 all together. I normally do the evening milking at 7.30ish after the human kids are in bed. Once a week I cook dinner for my wife and we eat without the children, usually far too late at 8.30 or 9 as I have to do the milking in the middle of cooking.
It's a nuisance at the minute as the chooks need locking up at the same time I need to be in eating dinner. Still clocks change soon and it'll all fit in again.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 07:40:29 am »
Any time between 7-9 pm , depends on how the weather is and what needs doing outside. :raining:

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:45 am »
I aim for between 6-7 but if I sit down after feeding the animals it can be anytime, sometimes the children give up waiting and get their own!
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:15 am »
We eat ridiculously late. Has been 10pm sometimes. Like you it's got later and later and then indigestion kicks in in the small hours! Gotta get back on track with meals. OH is a dreadful biscuit muncher and then I don't bother with lunch as he's so full of biccies he doaesn't want to. I don't like eating on my own.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:55 am »
It depends on what shift I'm on. I finish between 6-8pm, then either hOme and walk the dogs for an hour or drive up to the field to do the animals (25 miles away)- dependIng on if it's us or my friends day to do them.

So eat anywhere from 8-10 Pm. It's earlier at weekends as cook then for hubby as well, during the week he tends to work late shifts and gets fed at work-KFC-yuck! Keep telling him to take food with him as eating that rubbish is not good!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:17 am »
We aim for 7pm every night but at weekends it edges towards 7.30/8.
We only eat lightly at lunch with tea & a biccy about 4.30/5pm and our main meal is later.
mandy :pig:

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 09:43:19 am »
I've got 4 kids and all of us have tea between 5pm and 6pm every night. All sat round the table. Some of our best conversations are carried out here  :D
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

loopylou

• Joined Feb 2013
  • East Lothian
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 12:46:19 pm »
It is normally between 7-9.  By the time we do all the animals and have a clean round the house.  Now the lighter nights are coming in I am hoping dinner will be about 5.30 then animals can get done after dinner.  Hate going to bed just after tea as it just lies on your stomach all night and not good for the diet!!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 12:49:45 pm »
Same as Brijjy for me, we eat between 5-6pm. Ive got three kids and have always insisted on us all sitting down together for our evening meal. I think children (particularly younger children) respond positively to routine. When we finally find our own holding this will probably go out the window :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 02:17:05 pm »
Best part of the day when you have children. I found mine tended to talk about school then whereas if I asked what they had been doing they just shrugged.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 02:33:48 pm »
yeah, hen i go and pick them up from school and ask what they have been doing it usually 'nothing'!! Sit down meals are a great way to get the family talking :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS