Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Salt lick for pygmy wethers  (Read 4236 times)

Cyberhell

• Joined Jan 2013
Salt lick for pygmy wethers
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:56:11 pm »
I gather we need a block of Rockies for the boys, but is it red or yellow that we need?  Do they need the copper from the red that's missing from the yellow and is that the only difference between them? 

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Salt lick for pygmy wethers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:27:14 pm »
I use the yellow one
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »
We use both, about 8 around the place half yellow and half red - some prefer one to another and I have seem some use both.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Cyberhell

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:09:43 pm »
We use both, about 8 around the place half yellow and half red - some prefer one to another and I have seem some use both.

We will only have 2 goats, will the licks degrade before they get used up if we have 2 on the go?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »
They do last a long time I have one in each pen which opens up during the day to an open plan unit so virtually 1 per goat and the only waste we get is when a section wear's down and breaks off.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:20:07 pm »
I use the yellow one, I also use a hammer to break a bit off and pummle it to a powder - I then use this to 'season' their food once a week, just to make sure they are taking it, it's difficult to know sometimes if they are.  I also have a big lump of pure rock salt in the field just in case one doesn't like the rockie.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS