Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Only one class for pygmy goats at RHS  (Read 2105 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Only one class for pygmy goats at RHS
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:26:32 am »
My goats and sheep are my one big hobby - I work from home and find the chance to do the odd show an excuse to get out and meet like minded people and see their animals.

When the draft schedule for the RHS came out I decided to give it a go - even though it would mean time away from my OH and animals and would mean extra work for OH looking after all the ones not going - what I am saying is not a small undertaking.

Now it seems there is only one class for all pygmy's - so it's not viable for me to enter 2 goats, on my own in the same class - really disappointing. Its almost like they have been pressured into doing it but don't really want it.

Who else was thinking of entering their pygmy's - will you still find it viable with only one class?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Only one class for pygmy goats at RHS
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:58:28 am »
Think in this day and age you're lucky to get any classes at all

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:40 pm »
My goats and sheep are my one big hobby - I work from home and find the chance to do the odd show an excuse to get out and meet like minded people and see their animals.

When the draft schedule for the RHS came out I decided to give it a go - even though it would mean time away from my OH and animals and would mean extra work for OH looking after all the ones not going - what I am saying is not a small undertaking.

Now it seems there is only one class for all pygmy's - so it's not viable for me to enter 2 goats, on my own in the same class - really disappointing. Its almost like they have been pressured into doing it but don't really want it.

Who else was thinking of entering their pygmy's - will you still find it viable with only one class?
dont give up (or take it personally), it is worth going even for one class. I know the show want the goat tent to be a success and the tent is great and its a great event to be a part of, but without entrants that tent could end up another Bar! and I will get my whitecoat dusted off for the occasion, do we lead Pygmys or carry :) :)?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:36:15 pm by Mays »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »
I was surprised to see that in all honesty, as I thought there were going to be three classes. I would agree with Mays, don't give up on it. If we get lots of entries we can split the classes up- either on the day, or if not this year, then next year. But if no one enters this year, there won't be a class next year.

There will always be people there to give you a hand Claire. Often people take more goats than they have handlers for, and other exhibitors help out with certain classes.

Hope you do enter, would've nice to have some more people there!

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »

There will always be people there to give you a hand Claire. Often people take more goats than they have handlers for, and other exhibitors help out with certain classes.

I often have more than one goat per class - especially if all the GG's are mine... There are always extra helpers there, people who don't hhave goats in that particular class.... so no problem taking two goats for the same class.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS