Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: price of cade lambs!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 20281 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: price of cade lambs!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:13:58 pm »
Plus you have to bear in mind that £45 was for an older virtually weaned lamb.  You can still pick up cade lambs at the same market sale as the £45 lamb sold at for circa £10 - the tiny little dot of a lamb  ;).   

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:03 pm »
sorry to be a froob, but what is a cade lamb?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:29 pm »
A cade lamb is another name for an orphan/bottle fed lamb.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 03:23:15 pm »
ahh, ok, thanks very much :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 03:29:09 pm »
So what IS a fair price then do you think?

I never said £45 wasn't a fair price - I said it was a silly price ;)

Plus you have to bear in mind that £45 was for an older virtually weaned lamb.   

That makes it less silly - tbh if we get a bottle lamb we generally try to find a neighbour who has a ewe that has lost her own and give them the lamb on the understanding that they have to keep it regardless of whether or not the ewe accepts it.

They are just too much trouble.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »
I was given four cade lambs free 7 years ago and when I went to pick them up they had added another two!  The four ewes turned out to be prolific lambers and considering my pedigree Ryeland ram was £40 I didn't do bad - unlike last year which more than cancelled out my profits!

I bought a couple of cade ewe lambs in last spring for £15 each, the farmer that brought them said he had just seen them advertised in the paper for £40 so I was getting a good deal  :thinking:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 04:52:39 pm »

Now can someone tell me why you still can't get any money for a pig in any shape or form  ???

Simple between the cost of Imported poor welfare pork and the "not for profit" smallholders selling their wares in the open market the Public has an extremely distorted view of what pork costs and no comprehention of what it takes to bring a pig to weight.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:55:26 pm by MKay »

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »
Unless you sell Mixed meat boxes of say Beef, Lamb and Pork the next best/only way to see profit on pigs is high quality sausages, these can bring in a penny a gram with ease.
 Have the butcher make some shorties at 3" vacuum them in packs of 2, make some awesome labels (like mine) and go round an affluent area knocking on doors and handing them a postcard and pair of bangers.
 Once you have given away 10kg I suspect you will have so much demand you will have to start a waiting list.
 But do them justice, charge a fair price- A penny a gram.
 The kind of people who will call you or email at that price will be the ones who appreciate quality and care about the provenance and welfare of the pigs/pork, and now is the time, rarely has there been such an opportunity for a foodie entrepreneur.
Also take your pigs to 130kg live weight, the shoulders and legs are immense and you will have super back bacon and Pancetta to offer too.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 05:33:58 pm »
So what IS a fair price then do you think?
Given that a orphan lamb will consume approx 10kg of milk powder (£20), say a 25kg bag of creep (£8), wormer and heptavac £3-4 depending on how many lambs, kill and cut £25, plus hay/straw I'd say £20 is at the top end of a fair price. £10 minimum.
After reading this thread I looked back at the most recent market report for Exeter (nearest market to us that sell orphans regularly) and last week they fell in price av. £11.90, top price about £18, and a few small lambs sold for less than £10. Possibly because more farms are lambing now, therefore more lambs available, whereas only a few farms lamb as early as January and a lot were hit by schmallenberg (sp) which reduced lambs on the ground even more...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 09:19:09 pm »

They are just too much trouble.

Yep, for me too. I wont keep them around, but neither will I be trying to get £45 for mine... ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:24 am »
Some farmers round here will give cade lambs, rather than have the hassle of bottle feeding Suppose when they are busy lambing, the extra work of cades is not welcome..  Have seen some very sorry looking specimens in the markets.  Do wonder who buys them, and if they survive.

Pnewlove

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 08:18:57 am »
I'm after a couple of lambs I'm from Yorkshire can anyone help I will pay

Chrissykelly482

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »
From Northern Ireland here I have 12 plus 2 goats and have never gave anymore than a 5er
  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 09:53:30 pm »
It really depends on the genetics of the sheep. I would be expecting to pay that for a really tip top ram lamb, a triplet naturally, from a well known and good breeder, however if they're crap then yes the price is a little daft. The thing is because farmers are not getting a lot for their lamb they're starting to sell lambs at this price to people who are, shall we say, new to keeping sheep, so for them they wouldn't know much difference. If I was selling my cade lambs they would go for between 20-25 £'s £25 for the females and £20 for the males. Please don't let me rant on the prices of lamb I will never stop, someone hold me back quick!!!!! :rant: :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 09:20:34 am »
This page and its prices are 3 years old ???:roflanim:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS