Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: price of cade lambs!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 20276 times)

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
price of cade lambs!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:52 pm »
Just seen cade lambs for sale at £45 each, a few more at £40. In that case what price would they want with mum :o

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: price of cade lambs!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:19:21 am »
Cade lambs at Sedgemoor have been doing a roaring trade with like you say, some reaching £45 and many around the £30-£35 mark.  Ewes with single lambs at foot were reaching circa £180 and with twins over £200 last Saturday.   The prices for sheep are on the way up again - hoggs are around the £75 mark with some dearer than that.  The overall average was well up on that of previous weeks. Good news - unless you are looking to purchase cade lambs of course!  Gone are the days when you could drop in on a local farmer and he would give you a couple of cade lambs for free!

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:02 am »
There are still plenty of folk expect to pay nowt for them tho   or next to nothing    you only have to look on preloved for the 'loving home' adverts

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:56 am »
It was widely predicted that the price of sheep/lambs would go up in the spring. Grass has run out for people trying to overwinter their own sheep schmalenberg in early lambers has cut that lamb crop and there is a long lead-in time for NZ lamb.

I imagine it'll go down again early summer.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:02 am »
Lambs going for between £35 and £40 at markets in the south west going on the weekly reports. We bought our lambs for £10 this year, however will pay up to £20 which I think is fair.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:15 am »
last March I picked up 3 cades, double tagged, castrated with 36 hours of colostrum for ....free! how lucky was I?! amazing what price they are reaching on the market. THis farmer didn't know us but had been given our number by the vet who recommended us to him. Did give him a bottle of homemade plum wine in return  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:37:40 am »
These prices are just daft! If you consider that finished lambs are only making £1.50/kg at best  :-[
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:43:27 am »
No its not, its people reading trends and predicting a shift. Butchers the country over are seeing -Pre christmas trade levels in their slackest month of the year, My customers for my Christmas Mixed boxes are re-ordering now for "anything I have available" even though I only traid at xmas. What have Tesco anounced at the NFU?

British Agriculture is about to see a revitalisation and anyone who has put off sows or ewes to reduce there costs this year is going to be kicking themselves. This is the time for (granted large farms) to activly seek contracts as the banks will start to lend for expansion again.

Makes me wonder if I should hire a labourer, put up a shed and buy a 30head of Angus, Iv got the land for it just not the infastructure.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:46:53 am by MKay »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:21 am »
British Agriculture is about to see a revitalisation

Let's hope so.  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:30 am »
I agree, the lamb crop in Schmallenberg areas has been hit hard; there have been significant ewe deaths and poor scans up North in flukey areas - there will be a shortfall of lamb this year.

And hopefully there will be an impact of neddyburgergate on top of that.

Now can someone tell me why you still can't get any money for a pig in any shape or form  ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:04:43 pm »
Pig prices seem to be slightly on the increase too at my local market with more interest from buyers  :fc:
Store Pigs (95)
A smaller entry of 95 Store Pigs of mixed quality met more interest,
especially for better quality and stronger types. Best 8 w/o Whites to
£30 and stronger feeding pigs to £67 and £56. Best pigs from
Mr M Cutter, Mr G Phelps and Mr J Blackmore.
Fat Pigs (140)
Good entry of 140 Fat Pigs met plenty of interest for quality. Lights to
£98, mediums to £126 and heavies to £129. Best sorts from
Mr C Chilcott, Messrs LE Miller & Son, Mr R Turner, Mr M Cutter,
Glamorgan Vale, Messrs P & T Reakes, Messrs R & J Persey and
Mr TWT Palmer.
Cull Sows (13)
Trade has firmed for Cull Sows, when the best of the 13 forward sold to
£200 from Messrs P & T Reakes and £170 Mr A Cooper.
Boars (7)
Sold to £169 Mr A Cooper.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »
These prices are just daft! If you consider that finished lambs are only making £1.50/kg at best  :-[

You have to bear in mind that we are about to loose a large abattoir in this area so there will be no-one who will purchase directly off farm and there will be even less competition between buyers at the local market.

Welsh Country Foods were processing 8,000 lambs a day - the loss of that parket is bound to have a downward effect on lambs in North West Wales .....but I will be more that happy to be proved wrong.

I still say that £45 is a daft price for a cade lamb even if prices nationally are going to rise!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 02:27:30 pm »
So what IS a fair price then do you think?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 02:38:41 pm »
So what IS a fair price then do you think?

I would have thought that the price paid at market is the only way to establish exactly what a fair price is...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 03:12:58 pm »
You do have a good point there Blacksheep, LOL!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS