Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barf diet  (Read 4917 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Barf diet
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »
[size=78%]Interestingly - after the other thread on low protein being calming - chicken is allegedly 30% protein, so protein level is not the full story.[/size]

Apparently its the source of the protein which is as important as the %.  Protein from animal meat, especially unprocessed, is fine.  Protein from cereals such as soya is the main culprit of making dogs hyper.  So that's why a fresh diet of meat although high in protein is actually more calming than kibble.  I highly recommend a fresh/raw diet but won't preach about it, its not convenient for everyone.  Natural Instinct though has everything in it so you don't have to weigh things out etc - just thaw it out and dump it in their dishes :-)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »
Makes perfect sense  :thumbsup:

I can't afford the decent food (naturediet etc etc) so mix-n-match red meat, white meat, offal, scraps. I also cuddle her enough to notice if she's getting thinner or fatter, and adjust accordingly  :D

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:10 am »
no tennis balls around.
i can understand chipping the canines but still suprised to see the front teeth worn down so much. mainly the bottom set, particularly the middle ones. you can see the "rings" inside the teeth  but she doesnt seem in pain, tho she is a tough cookie.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS