Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too good to be true ....????  (Read 6264 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Too good to be true ....????
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 08:40:41 pm »
95% of Border Collies in rescue would not be there if they had been fed appropriately IMO. You just found out why ;D
Well done for changing the food :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »
Can't feed Odie most things as he is allergic to everything except pork, chicken, white fish and salmon. He can have wheat but not soya or potato, so that rules out most of the hypo-allergy foods as they tend to be soya or potato based!

Chappie is perfect for him except he needs more protein so add extra egg etc to his diet.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »
Check labels for maize starch, seems to cause problem in pets as well as people.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 01:23:04 pm »
Clarebelle - the Skinners recommended on this thread seems a reasonable price and low protein. I am going to try my retriever on this when Meg is a bit older.

It is amazing how strong they can be. When I did agility classes with my Flattie, the instructor asked if he could demonstrate something using Alf. Alf pulled him right over  :o . He said he never thought he would be that strong a dog. He doesn't pull me but only because I did loads of heel work with him and even now he needs a sharp reminder of his manners if he is in a very exciting environment. He is taking advantage at the moment because I'm having to walk him and our pup together at times. He knows I can't be fully on top of him while pups pulling about  ::) . Have you tried lots of heeling exercises?

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 01:40:31 pm »
Yes, she is very strong and she is big, even for a retriever. The things is she is VERY obiedient MOST of the time, she follows many commands to the letter and is an extremely good dog, she just gets so excited when its time for a walk. We take her to a large open space where she can get off the lead and as soon as it comes off she is away and will leg it round, once she has had this little burst she is fine once she goes back on the lead. So on the way home shes fine but the walk from the house to the field is a nightmare, she just jumps all over the place! I have tried getting her to heel and have also tried various coller/lead/harness combination without success. Do you have a heeling exercise you would recommend for an older dog?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 02:08:33 pm »
One exercise that works with them all iff you can be robust enough to do it religiously is this.  Whenever the dog is not at your side, you stop.  You don't reprimand, you just stop.  You don't move forward again until there is slack in the lead.  As soon as the slack is gone, you stop.  You must do this every time there is no slack so that the dogs learns that s/he makes no forward progress if s/he can feel the collar on her/his neck.

First day you may not get to the end of your driveway.  :D  But they're clever things; by the end of a week, they'll have got the message.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:20 pm »
One exercise that works with them all iff you can be robust enough to do it religiously is this.  Whenever the dog is not at your side, you stop.  You don't reprimand, you just stop.  You don't move forward again until there is slack in the lead.  As soon as the slack is gone, you stop.  You must do this every time there is no slack so that the dogs learns that s/he makes no forward progress if s/he can feel the collar on her/his neck.

First day you may not get to the end of your driveway.  :D  But they're clever things; by the end of a week, they'll have got the message.

Really similar to what I do, I however have a loop of lead in my hand, if that gets any pull I drop the loop and stop, this gives a gentle jerk every time, they soon get the hang of it, the other thing you could try is walking around very randomly, change direction every thirty seconds so the dog has no idea what's going on and can't anticipate things, so they end up following you cos there's not much else they can do.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 07:02:11 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm going to try that method and see how we go! Although I'm not sure if that will solve the jumping all over the place when I first put her lead on, I hope it does. My hubby thinks I'm mad to even try!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
Clarebelle -  :wave:  have sent you a pm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS