Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Nutrition+diet  (Read 10259 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: . Nutrition+diet
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 10:29:40 am »
I shall watch it later too, I do notice I have a lot of food intollerances, I think 2 of my 3 girls do as well.
Once I get some order back in my life (and some money) I will go back onto my diet, I did used to fast years and years ago, I know I certainly eat far too much!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 10:38:49 am »
Very interesting thread .... especially as we just starting up with smallholding and are both wrong side of 50  with all the additional aches and pains which seem to arrive with that birthday!  Inspired to think more about what we rear/ grow for ourselves ..... but with all this talk of food I'll just have to go for a snack first!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 10:40:31 am »
Re the clamp - it was Wartime Farm that did the silage in a clamp of corrugated tin/scraps, heavily promoted by the government.

Rustyme, wouls something other than hay work (mangels etc) or do you need the pasture for grazing as well as grass?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 11:29:05 am »
Backinwellies, I notice more and more how food effects me, more aches and pains if/when i eat certain things, one example is, we were going on a dog walk and I went to the shop to buy some milk and saw some spring rolls reduced so, I bought them, I ate 2 and started walking, within 10 min I could hardly breath, kept burrrping (squeeze me) and my legs went like jelly and I actually thought seriously about staying where I was on our walk and being carried back to the car, :roflanim: however, after a few more burrrrrrrps, I began to recover and after around 40 mins was as OK, I know the same happens with milk products, I often feel faint after milk, same with too much grain, some foods make me ache so badly in the morning and coffee gives me very bad migraine if I drink more than a cup, same with chocolate, I hate faddy eaters but at least understand how some of us cannot eat certain things, I know I am best eating veg meat and fish.. I can drink wine and whiskey however :innocent:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 05:30:57 pm »
FiB can you possibly give us the video in a few sentences, don't have time to watch that but sounds really interesting, I tend to graze and starve, graze and starve, forget to eat sometimes when I'm outside busy, should probably have more structure really.
I'll try.... :thinking:

Michael Mosely (a doctor and science journalist for the BBC) goes on a quest to look at all the research on living longer... and it seemed to him that calorie restriction was where it was at - (now this bit is like the childrens book 'Dear Zoo'!!) He looked at 'CRONies' (calories restriction for optimal nutrition - it was too hard and boring, he looked at fasting (thats proper fasting) for 4-5 day periods - too hard....  he tried alternate day calorie restriction - also worked, but couldnt see himself doing it for life... and then decide to try 5:2 (Calorie restriction 600/500 cals man/woman 2 days and eat normally other 5) ....  and it was JUUUST right!!!   He was not very overweight but  carrying an extra stone or 2, a few inches around the waist.....found to be a tofi (thin outside, fat inside) with lots of fat around organs and middle and dangerous fasting glucose, bad cholesterol and IGC1 (growth hormone - high levels in adults may be a factor in cancer).  He was about to go onto medication...  End of story, post 6 weeks of 5:2 all bloods normal, Wife GP amazed, all happy!!!  He was particularly motivated because of family history of Stroke, Diabetes Prostate cancer and Dementia (studies on mice also seem to point to this as a dementia preventer) If you want more science MMs book has it or this nurse has just written one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fasting-Fitness-Science-Laymans-ebook/dp/B00BJGI0GK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1361985707&sr=1-1 .  I dont have blood tests to go on but am saving a fortune and can finally (after 10 years) get into pre-preg jeans ;D ;D ;D   Trying to Lure OH onto it as he is just on the edge of medication like MM lost his dad early to heart failure and has a mum with Diabetes and strokes.....  A bit of a thread diversion, but inkeeping with the idea of eating for optimum health? 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:11 pm »
Thanks FiB, so it's 2 'rest' days for your digestion sounds like and then eat normall (not making up for the 2 days of course  :innocent: ).  It sounds do-able.  So say you could not eat much on a Wednesday and Thursday and eat normmaly the rest of the week, or not eat much say Tuesday and Thursday to split it up so you don't get hungry.. hmm, think that may be a plan.  Thanks FiB.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »
Thanks FiB, so it's 2 'rest' days for your digestion sounds like and then eat normall (not making up for the 2 days of course  :innocent: ).  It sounds do-able.  So say you could not eat much on a Wednesday and Thursday and eat normmaly the rest of the week, or not eat much say Tuesday and Thursday to split it up so you don't get hungry.. hmm, think that may be a plan.  Thanks FiB.

You got it.  (2 days in a row might be a bit hardcore - the mantra for this way of eating is 'I can have it tomorrow!!') Yep really working for me, my pants started falling down today (under several layers of trousers and waterproofs of course, so not easy to hitch up)!!!  If you are on Facebook there is a group with lots of food ideas for those 500 cal days   http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/the52diet/

Right not going to mention it again else people will think I am a nutter.  Good Luck Goosepimple.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:06:19 pm by FiB »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS