Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raised beds  (Read 8159 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Raised beds
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:14:36 pm »
I already used raised beds for vegetables but now I am less mobile, I have decided that I need to have them made to waist height so I can garden from a chair.  I won't use treated wood as I garden organically.  Anybody got suggestions as to what they can be built from?  I will get someone to do the work as I can't.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:53:39 am »
You might want to consider these to compare prices against getting them made for you.
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/standard-wooden-raised-beds-pid7994.html
There is also a 10% discount if you quote RB10 at checkout.
I have them (or rather the economy range below this - which doesnt have the sort of height you would want whereas this range does) and was pleasantly surprised by the quality
RE the preservative they say "High pressure treated with a non-toxic preservative after consultation with the country's leading organic growing body - mGarden Organic - before selecting treatment"
hope this helps

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:05:35 am »
I've always made higher raised beds - and smaller, with a shelf at one side so I can perch when weeding.  Pallets are good for this, and they are often free if you can find a source. The smaller ones can be used as they are and the larger ones can be split up and the wood used.  Put a high post in each corner with a frame round the top so you can attach netting to keep out birds.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sharnaloo

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:19:13 pm »
have you tried putting an ad in the free papers in your area  you may be surprised how many ppl have old wood laying around  or try a local timber yard  they often have 'offcuts' that can be used very cheap often free
or another cheap option maybe to get breeze blocks  a pallet of the cheap ones is around £45.00  as long as you know someone that can cement them together

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:43 pm »
Breeze blocks are a good idea as you won't suffer from rotting wood.  Leave drainage holes towards the bottom
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:01:25 pm »
Have you thought of making hugelkultur beds as these can be made to any height and use up any old rotten logs or brush you have around the place. There is some info here http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/ but if you need to know more just ask  :)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:14:10 pm »
Some great suggestions here and you've all given me food for thought.  I need to do some research into the different methods. 

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »
tanalised timber is safe for use on organic crops, the preservative is not toxic, and tanalised wood is cheap enough.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:13:27 pm »
Today I had a reply to an enquiry I made to Garden Organic and they have said that Tanalith E is a safer way to pressure treat wood.  The original CCA pressure treating contained arsenic and has now been banned.  So it looks like that is the way to go.

Thanks all.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:11 am »
Just was thinking about this the other day. As we have quite a few pallets no longer used I decided to give them a go.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:53:17 pm »
Someone told me that she made raised beds with pallets.  She made a stack of small ones then put four big ones round that, one on each side and joined them.  Lined the bed with heavy duty plastic with holes made in the bottom and fill with soil.  I can't get hold of enough pallets or I'd do that.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 10:50:24 pm »
You don't need them that big.  Use four small ones to make a raised bed 1 metre cubed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 10:14:06 pm »
Old scaffolding boards are good (skips  :innocent: ). Pallets are such good all rounders.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 10:17:14 pm »
I'm thinking that maybe I'd use pallets to raise the level inside the raised bed, otherwise I've got to find an awful lot of compost.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 11:01:39 pm »
What about the one ton big bags used for fertiliser, gravel etc?  They use those in Cuba or Africa or somewhere as raised beds.  They don't last forever but can be sat on a pallet for extra height and if you can get used ones would be very cheap.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS