Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seedlings falling over  (Read 4786 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Seedlings falling over
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »
I am a bit concerned about my seedlings. They are on a SW facing windowsill in the house. It is quite warm and plenty of light. I have planted half of them in "home made" seedling compost made from worm cast, perlite and horticultural sand and half of them in JI No. 3 seedling compost.

The ones in the wormery compost have leapt up and have become long and some of the beetroot seedlings are falling over. The tomato seedlings are about two inches high and also looking long.

Have I given them too much of a good thing?

I could move them to a cooler, more northerly facing site. Should I just go with the John Innes?

Any suggestions?

Should I just stick with the JI No. 3?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Seedlings falling over
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:26:12 pm »
sounds like they are coming on to fast.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:37:15 pm »
and they're stretching for light, sun is still weak at this time of year, it might be bright but its not strong.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:47 pm »
I can't be doing with all gro-lights and everything. Shall I just wait a bit??

I've been trying to start earlier this year as I feel I started too late last year...... so I've gone for the first day of the earliest month recommended on the seed packet.... probably not a good move.

Do you think the wormery potting compost is too rich for them?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59:58 pm »
you can still use leggy toms and chili, just plant them down, ie to within an inch of the first leaves. this helps grow a bigger rootball.

its always a risk sowing on the early side.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:45:59 pm »
I think I'll hang on to this lot and see what they do but plant another lot at the end of March.

I am worried though that the compost might be a bit rich. I had heard that seedling compost needed to quite spare...... something to do with making the roots develop more. Is that right?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:13 pm »
yes. but some can cope with it rich like toms and cuces
if it was mixed 1/3 worm 1/3 perlite and 1/3 sand i cant see that being your issue.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:00 pm »
I had the same problem last year ( but slightly older) potted plants waiting for panting out. Somebody on here showed photos of their deep rooted plants after becoming leggy. I had good results in the end so don't give up. As DIW said, deep plant them  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 11:18:52 pm »
To give them more light without a Grolite, put them in a box lined with foil and the window side cut away, so the sunlight will reflect back on them to light them from both sides.  I bring mine in from the windowsill when it gets dark and put them under my reading lamp until bedtime.  It doesn't solve the problem but it does help.  It also stops them getting too cold behind the curtains on frosty nights.  Another thing is to turn the pots around each day so they don't lean towards the light.

Even if they do become too leggy, even once you have potted them on really deep, when you finally plant them out, lay the first part of the stem horizontally in a trench, then tie up the top of the plant from a bit below the first truss.  This will give lots of extra roots and strong plants.

JI no 3 is for potting up big plants isn't it, so would have far too many nutrients for seedlings?  I thought JI no 1 was for seeds.   I too am making my own composts this year so I expect I will have the same problem as you  ;D   :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »
the heat to light ratio is important with seedlings more heat less light leads to long leggy plants... reduce the heat and they will bulk up more
Ian

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 12:06:30 am »
Oh - whichever John Inness is the seedling one..... I definitely checked and it was the seedling compost. I probably got them mixed up but it is the sandy one......

I think I may well put them in a cooler room.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »
Mmmmm - maybe I wil go for a gro-lux tube or two so now I have loads of other questions:

• Do I rig up just one above each row of trays?
  • Can I rig them up on a timer in my rather dark workshop?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS