Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: importing pigs  (Read 10111 times)

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
importing pigs
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:28:20 am »
Does anybody know of someone who would bring pigs from england to ireland.

Regards Patrick

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: importing pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:20:16 pm »
Hello,

It would be far easier and cheaper to bring them in from NI. The majority of the pig breeds can be sourced there. The BPA (British Pig Association) would be able to advise who breeds what you're after.
BTW what are you looking for ?

Cheers

Gavin

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:03:16 pm »
I am looking for a pedigree gloucester old spot boar that is about 6/7 months of age or something that is already old enough to breed.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:19:29 pm »
I'm probably trying to teach you to suck eggs, but have you thought of AI.  Deerpark have a wide variety available.

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:35:30 pm »
The people we bought the pigs off had 4 sows and had tried a.i on all the sows not one of them went in pig so they bought a boar and are now having a litter from each sow every 6 months.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 02:23:30 pm »
ive found a rare breed farm that has a gloucester old spot boar for stud it is in co. roscommon
not too far from me! they also have tamworths and saddlebacks

www.tullywoodfarm.com/index.htm

gem.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:54:18 pm by CarraghsBorderCollies »
GEM. X

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 08:20:33 pm »
Hello,

For GOS in Ireland (North or South) your best bet would be to try Forthill Farm in Armagh.  (www.forthillfarm.co.uk)

Cheers

Gavin

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 08:32:16 pm »
I though pigs had a very low success rate with AI if its there first attempt at getting pregnant, but if they have already had a litter then AI works fine.  Has anyone else heard of this or is it just my imagination.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:42:13 am »
On www.pigsinfrance.com  http://pigsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=88  How to impregnate pigs via AI. 

Simon the author has an almost 100 % success rate.  Might be his technique or his after shave, he is obviously doing something right.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:16:42 pm by Hilarysmum »

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:00:30 am »
I am in Southern Ireland and we sell Rare Breed Pigs.

We have a working Gloucestershire Old Spot Boar for sale.

We are in North Roscommon and you can email us at tullywoodfarm@eircom.net

You do not have to go to the North to buy Rare Breed Pigs - we are in the South and we stock Tamworths, new blood - unrelated to the Norths which are all related, Gloucestershire Old Spots and British Saddlebacks including Wessex and Essex Lines.

For more information visit www.tullywoodfarm.com WE ARE THE BIGGEST BREEDER OF RARE BREED PEDIGREE PIGS IN EIRE
WE also have our own butchery and farm shop and sell ducks, hens and geese.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 10:11:05 am »
Yeah and Tullywood have the BIGGEST prices too. Sorry for shouting but TULLYWOOD likes to do it. There are plenty of moderately priced rare breed pig producers in the south pm me and i'll send you their details.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 12:44:55 pm »
Yeah and Tullywood have the BIGGEST prices too. Sorry for shouting but TULLYWOOD likes to do it. There are plenty of moderately priced rare breed pig producers in the south pm me and i'll send you their details.

Hey, your friend Gavo says he's the biggest in Northern Ireland  - only getting in on the scene.

Our pedigrees will show that none of our pigs are inbred - unlike some other breeders that are line breeding all the time.

Line breeding if it works - inbreeding if it doesnt.

You want the best - you pays the price - no vets fees for bringing from the North if you buy in the South, - and by the way, we have a waiting list for weaners so sorry cannot supply until March 2010 at earliest. 

To the original posting:
But do have a Gloucestershire Old Spot boar for sale if your still interested phone me at Tullywood.

Sorry for SHOUTING Morgan - new to these chat thingys - usually only use pc for seroius work not sending jokes etc - just do not have the time.  Now I know what shouting is I will take care not to put things in caps, as I would hate to UPSET anyone

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 11:02:32 pm »
I think you'll find that Gavo is a well respected member of this forum, he's always willing to lend a hand, or give a friendly word of advice.  I have purchased stock from Gavo and I have found him to be lovely to deal with. I would also point out that he always had the stock when he promises it..... I bought two unrelated weaners off of him (B.P.A certs and all) for less than I could have got them from you, vets fees included.

I don't know who you're implying is line breeding, I know i'm not, and contrary to what you insinuated in your pm to me, mine are all certified as aujeskys free ("If you buy cheap plastic shoes in the market you get sore feet - if you buy good quality aujeskys free breeding stock from proven prize winning pigs - then you get no problems afterwards.").

Great that you're too busy on the computer to post jokes, personally I like bringing a smile to peoples faces when I can. As I recall from your website, you have bundles more computer experience than the rest of us, given that you held a management position in I.T.

Sorry if you don't like being told that you're expensive, but in my experience you are. Ye tried to sell me a 'Glen' Tamworth weaner for €150  :o, but I managed to get one (pedigree certified) for €80 (same lineage as yours I believe).

Regards,

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 07:07:00 am »
80 euros for a registered weaner is a good price, we are very lucky to get 50e, even allowing for the fact that we have newly imported bloodlines (thanks to a dear friend).   We are often quoted that they can get factory throw outs for 20 euros. 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:06:52 am »
Yup, I always thought that €80 was a fair enough price for a pedigree registered rare breed, it seems to be the going rate among most breeders in Ireland. The most expensive price I came accross was from one farm who wanted €90 for an unregistered weaner, €115 for registered, and €150 for an uncommon Glen bloodline.

I'm very pleased with the stock I got, but as we mentioned before, the bloodlines are rather restricted in Ireland. We didn't see the point of line breeding rare breeds as it defeated the purpose, so we had to search long and hard to find unrelated stock. We've also got a friend to source some fresh Tamworth bloodlines for us in the U.K., and I hope to be importing them later in the year.

Regards,

Morgan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS