Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor Hydraulic Question  (Read 9110 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Tractor Hydraulic Question
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:36:22 pm »
Evening all,
Hope somebody out there can give me a bit of advice please.
I have just bought a Log Splitter which operates off the hydraulics of my tractor.

Reading the instructions it states that the hydraulic pipes must be connected correctly to the "supply" and the "free flowing return". If not connected accordingly it states the control valve may get damaged. The splitter is designed to have a constant flow supply and a free flowing return.

My problem is  that I do not know which pipe  the tractor is which?
The tractor in question is a 1971 Zetor 4712.

When I originally got the machine it only had one hydraulic outlet. Common sense would tell me that this is the supply pipe?  I had a second pipe connector added so that I could use a hydraulic back box with it and was told for that piece of kit it did not matter which round the pipes went?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Fishy

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Tractor Hydraulic Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:26 pm »
Having a look here is a zetor and they mention log splitter

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/45809-zetor-3545-a.html

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:52 pm »
Hi
The manual with the splitter should indicate which way round the pipes are. If not line them up logically ie looking from the rear to the back of the tractor L to L and R to R. If this is not clear then just try them and see if it works. You may need to shut off the supply to the rear link arms to get the supply thru (i have to with my International B414) so position the splitter as you want it first.

With old vehicles there is always an element of trial and error...good luck!

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:04:42 am »
Some people, who use a log splitter, take the filler cap off the back axle filling point and wedge the return pipe (with no fitting on the end) into it so that oil can just flow back in.

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:51:18 pm »
+1 to what henchard said (if your tractor has no return or there's a problem using it).  I used to do this with my old Kubota that didn't have a return when I needed it to run the bale wrapper.  One point - my father in law (retired farmer) told me off for this.  Apparently hydraulic fluid takes on water if left open to the air, causing problems (plus an open filler will allow debris in).  So I made an adapter that temporarily replaced the filler cap and allowed the return coupling to plug into it.  It was quite a few years ago now & was a bit heath robinson, but did the job.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:43:29 am »
If the tractor only has one hydraulic outlet then its designed to push when the lever is pushed and returns down the same pipe.  I would get a non return valve coupling and do a loop on the same line around the log splitter.

If you have got a flow and return - its trial and error if you dont know which is which - it wont damage the equipment during the experiment - just dont hammer it.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:28:43 pm »
Thanks very much for all your advice guys. I have now worked out which is which and the splitter works better than I dared to hope. (And my back still works)

I did have a stroke of luck and got put in touch with a local tractor enthusiast and he fitted a return pipe which he plumbed in straight into the gearbox filler hole. He says that it is the most direct route with the least resistance and will therefore help to keep the oil cooler!! Sounds like witchcraft to me......

Thanks again everybody.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:25 am »
cackle cackle ;) - glad its sorted  ;D

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:47:40 am »
If the tractor only has one hydraulic outlet then its designed to push when the lever is pushed and returns down the same pipe.  I would get a non return valve coupling and do a loop on the same line around the log splitter.

If you have got a flow and return - its trial and error if you dont know which is which - it wont damage the equipment during the experiment - just dont hammer it.

Trial and error does not work and is down right dangerous..... There are actually folk on here who know what they are talking about.... 3000PSI of hydraulic pressure down the wrong pipe can kill.... I know of so called professionals who have inadvertantly bypassed a relief valve and had a major catastophe..... "Phone a friend" first

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS