Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: White line disease? or something else?  (Read 6965 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
White line disease? or something else?
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:04:33 am »
Reggie the heavy wether is holding one foot up now and not looking too good. We've struggled with this constant mud and although the other 3 are fine, his hooves have broken down (shelly) and have needed trimming back to stop debris breaking in. However, yesterday he's taken to the 3-legged walk. Have washed his foot, checked it for foreign bodies, there's not obvious smell or redness, no oozing. nothing apart from where he had shelly hoof last year, the white sole has spread somewhat and he has no shell to his hoof on one side still.  I've sprayed it and he continues on minerals and seaweed. He has some horse cream on his fox mange on his ankles but is ther eanything else i can do or is it time to call the vet? (I won't be getting a 3 legged, hopping, 14 stone goat in the back of the van so will be a call out...)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: White line disease? or something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:06:38 pm »
With Enid, when she was lame, there was no smell for a bit, however..... When having a bit of a poke with the hoof pick (VERY gently) the whole of what I had thought was her sole came away in a big chalky lump. The foot rot was underneath that 'false' sole and boy did it hum then!
Some alamycin and the foot gel stuff and she is sound as a pound again :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:21 pm »
Alamycin? is that powder from the vet CW?  thanks for reply btw.  I've had a good look today (again, poor thing!!) and can't find anything else to remove, will keep checking as hes now staying in his shed even though its sunny, maybe resting it is a good thing and he's following his instincts? 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:03:55 pm »
tis an antibiotic hun, Enid was injected with it just before she came home from the billy. It was a few days after that I had a poke around and found the chalky stuff.
Maybe ring the vets and ask advice?
Is it possible he has sprained it or bruised it somehow?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:00:23 pm »
Keeping dodgy feet dry always seems to help - the remaining horn gets hard enough to bear weight.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 04:23:57 pm »
If I can't move him to dry land, can I put something on his foot to keep it dry?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 06:55:10 pm »
We used a dog boot on a tup once.........

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »
If there is no sign of scald (damp wet and red/pinkish IN-BETWEEN his toes) or foot rot (smells), nothing trapped between hoof wall and soft tissue then he is probably just fed up and wants you to now about it. Does his foot feel hot/warm?

What do you man by fox mange? If this is heel (chorioptic) mange it is easily treated with Eprinex (cattle pour-on), two applications a few weeks apart. But it is really quite pricey, and only comes in cow-sized bottles... Have you got any neighbours with cattle? Cooopers Spot-on (as far as I know) does not treat chorioptic mange, it's really just for lice.

If he is still eating well, getting around in a fashion and you cannot find anything wrong with his foot, I would wait for a few days to get him to the vets..

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:48:08 am »
 ;D  Thanks for the replies.

Anke, I think you could have a point about him being fed up and wanting me to know about it! soon as there is feed coming he manages to do a speedy 3 legged trot.   He's had this mange 3 years running and I'm blaming the foxes but really might not be, guess it could be off the straw. We used ivermectin and sudocrem with good effect so maybe its not off the fox. Theres some dexters that sometimes try to break into our field but not sure who owns them, not anyone I know well enough to obtain any meds really.   
Have had a good look in between his toes and all there is to see is purple spray which has now turned pink, the skin is still white. Nothing feels warm at all and nothing trapped. will watch and see

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:24:34 am »
There's a great product for feet that I have used on my horses that apparently lots of people use for goats and sheep. It's from here http://www.pioneerpersonalcare.com/ they have a lovely soap that you wash the foot with and then use one of the balms to treat. It got rid of persistent thrush in my Clydie when nothing else worked. The chap who runs it is really helpful and if you phone him he will often suggest things for a specific case. It might be worth a try.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:21 am »
Milton the stuff used for cleaning baby bottles. I used this when one of the ponies had an infection in his foot. Used diluted it works wonders.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 04:25:49 pm »
I think we know what it is now....he's chewed that leg until its bled in 3 small areas, The mange is really playing him up. Will slather some sudocrem on for now and then check out the Eprinex option. Last year Ivermectin/sudocrem duo worked for him within a few days. Funny how its always every spring and only one goat out of 4? We've emptied the shed out totally, burnt the bedding, and he's been out in the sunshine. Putting a tiny bit of weight on it but I do't think its the foot now!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 05:17:09 pm »
Do you have a farm vet by you,mine will do just a syringe of wormers etc, might be worth a phone call.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:47:00 pm »
Have tried that with ours but alas no - have to buy the whole bottle of everything  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 06:54:31 am »
Eprinex usually has quite a long shelf live if you store it correctly, and no withdrawal time for milk in females (for cattle). Does lice too...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS