Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambivac / Pregnant Nanny  (Read 2455 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Lambivac / Pregnant Nanny
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:20:36 pm »
This is totaly my fault for not double checking but one of our Boers who was pregnant when we got her has not been lambivaced at all .
She is due any time from the 19th March up to late april what would you advise I do ?  :-\
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Lambivac / Pregnant Nanny
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:39:00 pm »
I would give her the first shot of Lambivac now (asap really), second one 3-4 weeks later and you should be within the recommended 6 - 4 weeks pre-kidding shot to make sure she has antibodies in her colostrum. Then probably vaccinate her kid(s) at 8 weeks rather than 12 for the first shot to make sure they get the best protection.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:08 pm »
Thanks Anke
Would that be a problem if she did kid on the 19th March ? as its only a month away and she would have only just had her first jab, if she did go longer she could in theory be getting her second one as the kids are due  :-\
Graham

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:02:33 pm »
I have always used Lambivac just because we can get it from Robsons in the next village. Is there any benefit or easier way around it if I used Hep P / If I can even get hold of some  Hep P ::) what is the dosage
Graham

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:18:48 pm »
I know that there has been some debate already about using Hep p so I asked my vet, was told it was not really suitable for goats and to use lamivac.
Anne

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:18 pm »
It doesn't make a difference in terms of dosing- it's still a jab then a follow up 4 weeks later. I would do as Anke suggests.

Beth

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:13 pm »
Thanks
I am at the hospital tomorrow so will try and get a bottle while I am out, if not will order it from robsons and collect it thursday
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS