Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horse meat would you eat it?  (Read 6612 times)

Mariask

• Joined Feb 2013
Re: Horse meat would you eat it?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 09:21:22 pm »
I'm vegetarian. I don't eat any animals. So no, I wouldn't eat horse.

Having said that, I don't necessarily subscribe to the 'it's OK to eat some animals, but not the cute ones' policy. In my view, it's all or nothing...

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 10:03:48 pm »
I would eat horse if it was not hauled live over 1000s of miles and that it had never had a banned substance through it system like but ect, but it would save 1000S of horses being abused every year by being brought by people who dont know how to look after them, also horse meat seems to e much cheaper than beef yet cost more to raise so wouldnt be effective to breed for meat but culling the not so good animals would certainly increase the quality for sale.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 10:19:14 pm »
The reason we in Britain dont eat horse met is generally a cultural thing, same as we dont eat dogs or rats or frogs but other cultures do.
If we were raised to see a horse as a food item there we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

I personally have no problem with eating horse as I dont with cow, sheep etc

I think that eating dogs or rats would be different as they are carnivores and, as I understand it, the flavour is stronger.  Frogs?  Yes, I'd eat frog.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:18 am »
Horse and whale were common beef substitutes in the 1940's , and you can guarantee that horse has been a regular feature of your diet up to now . How many " steak " and kidney or "steak " and onion pies or pasties, or tins of corned "beef" have you consumed ? where did they originate ?
As we are now discovering, not all branded goods can be trusted, Profit, not quality, is the name of the game.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 09:23:23 am »
I have no problem at all with horse meat as food. I do like to know that what I'm eating is what I thought it was when I bought it though.

this

And I agree with Tiz, most of us have probably unknowingly eaten horse in this country already.  When I was in my teens, it was common for the categories of curry one could buy to be chicken, prawn, lamb and meat.  I asked a waiter whether the meat was beef once, he said yes.  My friend then asked if 'beef' meant it was from a cow, and he said no!  The implication was it could be horse, donkey, goat...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS