Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just starting out with chickens  (Read 2909 times)

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
Just starting out with chickens
« on: June 18, 2009, 06:36:56 pm »
Hello Everyone

Our chickens arrived yesterday - 4 warren hens - they seem a bit nervous, but are eating well and drinking lots .They are 16 weeks old.  We are feeding them layers pellets and they have scrouted around the garden and have been eating slugs, bits of cabbage etc.  Any hints or tips would be really welcome.. I keep checking on them in case something has happened!
Thanks in advance

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Just starting out with chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:43:29 pm »
Bobby - just relax and enjoy. They will settle in very quick indeed and you will have many happy hours watching and enjoying their antics. I find the noise they make very therapeutic. :chook: I think we are all the same however when we get new animals, we are very protective and on edge for a while.

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:49:02 pm »
Thanks James.  I it normal for them to pech at themselves now and then

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:52:27 pm »
They will just be getting bits of food or dirt etc off themselves, honestly relax they will be fine. I am very new to hen keeping myself, always had ducks but they are addictive. Now have 7 hens and 12 ducks now.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:17 pm »
Hi Bobby, I have had my 4 warrens for nearly 4 weeks and what James says is exactly correct.  I found reading all the poultry back pages a big help as are the other TAS members. I am really enjoying the learning process and I think you will too. Good luck.
JD

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:31:23 pm »
Thanks both - it is all a bit nerve racking - I have been browsing through the posts on here - what a great forum

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:19:35 pm »
Had a great day toda- the chickens are making themselves at home, eating from our hands, pecking our laces - feeling much calmer with them today- thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS