Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my chicks party all night! help!  (Read 2647 times)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
my chicks party all night! help!
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:36:40 pm »
my 4 jersey giant chicks seem to be confused by the heat lamp i often hear them cheaping loudly at 1am or 2am then i often find them sleeping during the day sprawled out as if dead or sleeping standing up with their beak on the ground.

how do i get them into a routine?
if i switch off the heatlamp they start cheeping loudly in protest, they are only 1wk old.
help!

gem x
GEM. X

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: my chicks party all night! help!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:41:34 pm »
I don't think you will get them into a routine. The builb in my heat lamp does not let off any light so doesn't confuse them, but in the early stages they sleep a lot, day or night.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »
what kind of bulb do you use??
gem x
GEM. X

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:49:37 pm »
I don't know to be honest, I know it's one suitable for water fowl (as it is ducklings I raise) and therefore doesn't explode if water gets splashed onto it. If you struggle let me know and I will have a look at mine for you!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:40:25 pm »
There are two types of heat lamp - ceramic and red glow.  The ceramic ones are white or cream with no light.  The red ones vary in light intensity, and both come in a variety of sizes.  I prefer the ceramic ones for my pups so tehy get into the habit of sleeping at night when everything else is dark.  When  used the red bulbs they used to stay awake at night and sleep during the day.  Most people perfer their dogs to sleep when they are sleeping  ;).  My hens come back out when the security light goes on so I ahve to sneak past it to shut their pop-hole at night! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »
i bought the lamp for my last litter of pups, they were born this feb, i think i will wait till this bulb burns out before i buy a ceramic, the bulbs are fairly pricey!! :paw: ;D
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS