Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Latest sock  (Read 10111 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Latest sock
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 11:05:56 am »
Brilliant  :thumbsup:  and I was particularly interested in this bit "Three yarns, all based on a 2Z1S 3-ply - that's 3 singles, one with an S-twist (wheel turning anticlockwise), the others Z as normal.  Supposedly makes the final yarn stronger, so recommended for socks"    I've not heard of this before, so might have a play.....but what happen when you ply it.....does that one strand not 'undo'?? :thinking:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 12:37:22 pm »
No, it doesn't undo when you ply, as you are twisting all three singles around one another.  It leaves the plied yarn a little bit coily and twisty, but I didn't find it difficult to knit at all, and it didn't seem to make it want to tangle - although I wouldn't leave any amount of it free to do so  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »
Looks good and will be warm,

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:35 pm »
No, it doesn't undo when you ply, as you are twisting all three singles around one another.  It leaves the plied yarn a little bit coily and twisty, but I didn't find it difficult to knit at all, and it didn't seem to make it want to tangle - although I wouldn't leave any amount of it free to do so  ;)

This is also how you ply using the Navajo method - which is weirdly satisfying and uses just the one thread looped, so tends to keep any shading etc in order.

Love the sock Sally - you are such a clever girl  :thumbsup:   Is that heel one which can be replaced when it wears out?   I will be interested to hear how it wears.  Glad you are using the Twisted Sisters Sock Book - so many lovely ideas in there  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 09:44:04 pm »
[quote do like the idea of not knitting pairs, and choosing two individual socks to wear together... then when people laugh and point, and say, as they always do, "Ha ha, I bet you've got another pair like that at home!", I'll be able to smile sweetly and say, "Actually, no.  All my socks are unique."  :D]
I agree.....most of my socks do not match either.......it should catch on, my husband thinks I am the only person who looses socks in the wash!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 09:44:14 am »

I agree.....most of my socks do not match either.......it should catch on, my husband thinks I am the only person who looses socks in the wash!!
Sandy, you are definitely not the only person who looses socks in the wash. I am sure some of mine go away on holiday because they eventually turn up again  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 10:01:13 am »
Is that heel one which can be replaced when it wears out?   

Yes, it's an hourglass heel, so in theory I can drop it out and knit/graft another one in.  I do all my socks that way, but so far haven't needed to replace any heels.   

This is also how you ply using the Navajo method - which is weirdly satisfying and uses just the one thread looped, so tends to keep any shading etc in order.

Oh, I love Navaho-plying, it's a really soothing thing to do.  They do talk about there being a weakness, in that if one of the singles wears through then the whole yarn can unravel - but there's no better way to keep colour blocky and it's a super effect.   :love:  I shall make a Navaho-plied pair somewhen - but would probably still do the heels in a plainer, stronger yarn, since that's the point that gets the most wear in my socks. 

As to the twist being 2S-1Z in a Navaho ply.... ???

I've maybe got this all wrong (not unusual!  ::)) - but my understanding is that a Z twist looks like a Z whichever way up you look at it, and an S like an S whichever way up you look at it, so even though one of the plies in a 3-ply Navaho ply is upside-down to the other two, the twist is still in the same direction?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 11:03:13 am »
You two have got me totally confused :thinking:
Think I had better look at Navaho plying on utube to see what its all about

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 11:14:14 am »

<< As to the twist being 2S-1Z in a Navaho ply.... ??? >>

Of course you're right  ;DI read it when I was learning to Navajo ply and just accepted it  :dunce:

There is a wonderful Utube clip on Navajo plying which just makes it look so smooth, relaxed and easy.   :knit:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 01:30:01 pm »
There is a wonderful Utube clip on Navajo plying which just makes it look so smooth, relaxed and easy.   :knit:

It's the Sarah Anderson one - I posted a link to it here

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 02:35:47 pm »
Thanks Sally, that was very interesting. I am sure I will knot my fingers together when I give it a try though  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Latest sock and its pair - oh ye of little faith ;)
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 04:06:44 pm »
Just because some of you seemed to think I wouldn't be able to make a second to pair the first...

(and yes, my feet really are that flat  :o)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »
You knitted the second one quickly  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »
I love this yarn, it knits up really quickly  :) and is warm and soft to wear.  I've spun all my BFL tops now, though, so am going to have a go with my new English combs (birthday prezzie) on the BFL fleecewool I've got to see if I can get anywhere close to the quality of the commercial tops.  (Otherwise I'll just buy more of the commercial stuff - it's too quick and easy and lovely to spin, dye and knit not to ;))

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 05:43:36 pm »
A fab pair of socks Sally    :thumbsup:   It puts me to shame that I haven't even started my hat yet   :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS