Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Latest sock  (Read 10115 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Latest sock
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:10:15 pm »
First homespun sock  :excited:

Three yarns, all based on a 2Z1S 3-ply - that's 3 singles, one with an S-twist (wheel turning anticlockwise), the others Z as normal.  Supposedly makes the final yarn stronger, so recommended for socks.

Body of sock is 3-ply BFL, spun from tops.  Heel replaces one of the Z-BFL singles with a Z-Lincoln Longwool, also from tops.  Top of leg replaces one of the Z-BFL singles with a Z-Wensleydale, imperfectly combed from locks.  I had been going to do one heel in Lincoln/BFL and one in Wensleydale/BFL, to compare how they wear, but the Wensleydale is too coily and knobbly (due my imperfect prep) and would not last long as heels.  It's fine for the cuff, though.

All the yarns were dyed in the microwave in the skein.  I applied the colour in blocks, deliberately leaving a little bit undyed under where the skein was tied, to get the occasional flash of white.  The main 3BFL one I dyed in quarters - 1/4 violet, 1/4 navy and 1/2 blue.  Looked brilliant in the skein, gorgeous when balled, lovely when knitting and, I think, fantastic in the final sock  ;D   I used more dark blue and a little red for the Lincoln, and two blues for the Wensleydale.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:03 pm »
Just the one is it  ? See you at the hop then !

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Latest sock
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:23:05 pm »
so be honest with all the spinning etc how long did that one sock take to produce?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:26:22 pm »
Very impressive. Love the colours.  :thumbsup:

I had a drop spindle for Christmas ..... my first venture into the world of spinning. It's still in the box  ::) . Can't even attempt it yet. Meg, the mad collie, would just love it. Even the knitting is on hold. She thinks she's a big help  ::)   ;D  but oh dear.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: .
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:28:03 pm »

Just the one is it  ? See you at the hop then !

:roflanim:  very good  :roflanim:  You've left me without a leg to stand on  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:32:03 pm »
Foot loose and fancy free eh !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
so be honest with all the spinning etc how long did that one sock take to produce?
Many many many minutes of sheer pleasure  ;D

Seriously, the yarn for the pair took maybe 3 evenings to spin, part of another to ply, wash, dye and ball.  The knitting for the one sock I did over 4 days, maybe would take 2 evenings if I was uninterrupted.  So around about a week of evenings for a pair of socks from fibre.

But I'm getting faster all the time...  :D

And, much more importantly, I love every single second of every part of the process  ;D

And I adore the socks!   :excited:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:31 pm »
Very nice  :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:36:06 pm »
 :thumbsup: Nice sock...very nice sock, well done....hop the other ones as nice  :eyelashes:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 09:44:15 pm »
Love it. look forward to seeing the pair  :excited:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:49:17 pm »
I suppose there is no need for them to match....who actualy say's you have to match socks?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:06:11 pm »
It was the fashiuon when my youngest was wee to have socks that didn't match.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 02:29:48 am »
In the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook, it suggests that whenever you need to knit a swatch, you knit it in a sock-width tube.  Then, if you like it, you can keep going and make it a sock. 

The sheep, pigs & cattle don't care a bean if my socks match or even whether they are the same all the way up - so I did start knitting up oddments I'd spun into sock-width tubes, thinking that I would just make heels and toes as I had the right length, and not worry about the looks.

However, my spinning is only now really getting consistent, fine and good enough for what I spin to be likely to wear reasonably well, so I've reassigned those early tubes and they're about the place in slippers, gloves, etc.

I do like the idea of not knitting pairs, and choosing two individual socks to wear together... then when people laugh and point, and say, as they always do, "Ha ha, I bet you've got another pair like that at home!", I'll be able to smile sweetly and say, "Actually, no.  All my socks are unique."  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:21:06 am »
Love the sock  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :knit: :knit: :knit: :knit: :knit:
You are at the stage that I want to get to. I have knitted several pairs of socks but not from my own spun yarn. I need to get it a bit more even before I try. I'm getting there though
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:16:07 am »
Thanks Sally  ;D

Yes, you will get there.  I am not quite one year in on spinning now, so I am pleased to have achieved this level in that time - I don't acquire physical skills very easily, so I am happy with how far I have come in 12 months  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS