Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shouldn't she at least look pregnant?  (Read 2572 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Shouldn't she at least look pregnant?
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:15 pm »
Our goatling was serviced on 18 November and to be honest I can't see any change in her at all!  Is there anything I should look out for at this stage to confirm whether she is in kid or not?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:16:22 pm by Bumblebear »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Shouldn't she at least look pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:06 pm »
By my calculation she is just over half way through if she is pregnant.  I'm assuming she hasn't come into season again since then.  Has she kidded before?  Even if this is her first, it's probably a bit early for an udder to start developing and the kid(s) would still be very tiny so not much to see.  I think it's probably a bit soon to worry.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:51:50 pm »
My first goat is due in 5 weeks - no udder, no relaxed tailbone, no nothing yet... but she hasn't come into season since being mated in October, so I am assuming she is expecting.She is getting very keen on her food though...

Most of the growth of the kid(s) is in the last 8 weeks, and even then some of them won't look very pregnant at all.

It's a awaiting game... if she hasn't come into season she is almost certainly in kid...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:29 pm »
Agree with MGM - my pygmy's are always tubby so look noticeably fat for the last 6 to 8 weeks but some slimmer two year old keep me guessing longer.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:02 pm »
I remember Elsie a lean lanky chocolate english that I'd been lent on condition she only ran with Hurstbourne Rupert.Come June 1st I muttered under my breath about useless goats and slung her out with the herd that morning.She had no udder and looked like a stringy camel despite eating like a horse.
   I trmember that day because it SNOWED (yes in JUNE,my friends dad was furious as it ruined his runner beans!) I went out to bring the goats on and there was Elsie,udder full to bursting washing down a very suprised single nanny kid!!!!!! She had'nt been out an hour nut as they say a watched kettle never boils ;) ;D

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:26 pm »
We have a goatling that is due at the end of march and she looks no different to what she was before she was mated.
She has not been in season since she was mated and she also has a serious appetite  where before she was quite picky
Graham

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
Last year my goatling was mated on 22 november along with a second-kidder.  The older girl began to look pregnant by end Jan but we assumed the goatling had aborted because there was no change.  The older girl kidded in April and that day though the goatling was still slender she suddenly produced an udder - we thought maybe the hormones in the air from her friend might have triggered a maiden-milker.  My mentor with 35 years experience agreed she didn't look pregnant, sides still flat as a board.  Next morning she had produced a big, strong female kid, we cannot imagine where she was keeping it!

She is pregant again now and still not rounding out.  Not worried this year.  Probably have triplets just to keep the surprises going!

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:13:12 pm »
Thank you all :)  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS