Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: and another one not well...  (Read 14250 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: and another one not well...
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2013, 07:34:53 am »
When I called my local hay supplier he insisted I go down and see the hay as lots of horse owners had sent it back...when I got there I was delighted as it was packed with thistles and all sorts which I knew the goats would love but also it meant I was paying £3.50 a bale delivered rather than over £5  :)  like Wytsend says, its well worth  looking around for this!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:14 am »
We had such awful weather in the summer  - like most of the country, I think ....the hay made round here was in most cases not good. Damp, musty, and poor quality,  Really hope we have a better summer, and good hay is made.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:13 am »
Not quite sure why but in 2011 I bought the years hay and then decided to buy a load of big bale haylage, thank goodness I did. The goats are eating the hay which is still really good and the horses the haylage, did offer some to the goats but they were not keen so have stuck to just the hay for them.
Now praying for good weather as we do need hay and haylage this year.
Anne

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 07:18:10 am »
Dont forget......that big bale hay, which is often equivalent to at least 12 std bales can be bought for around £20 A BALE   making it cheaper still.
Best of all, handling problems are not really there, as unlike haylage,  you can cut the strings and re stack where you need it !!!!   Thats what I do  and I use 2 big bales a week !!!!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 05:13:44 pm »
and my big mistake this year:  putting a row of big bale hay on the chalk floor - now all mouldy so have wasted the bottom third - grrrr

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »
Use pallets for the bottom layer....air can circulate.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 06:49:34 pm »
and my big mistake this year:  putting a row of big bale hay on the chalk floor - now all mouldy so have wasted the bottom third - grrrr

I did that last year, use pallets now like Wytsend says but also I make sure the back of the bales aren't touching the brick wall so air gets all round  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:26 pm »
dig a hole under the pallet and put a basin in it with lots of rat poison otherwise you'll create a five star rat run  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS