Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: and another one not well...  (Read 14251 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: and another one not well...
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 07:49:18 pm »
Thinking of you and the little one  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:59 pm »
You deserve for her to make a full recovery but, even if she doesn't survive, you'll know you gave her every possible chance.   :trophy: :thumbsup:

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 10:24:21 am »
So she's very slowly getting better - still down, but I lift her to move her and she tries to use legs; head less tilted; nibbling at grass and hay - but not sure how much she gets down as her mouth is still pretty paralysed.  giving her lectade all the time which she drinks and this morning saw she had drunk half a bucket of water.

Lost my nerve this morning with the injecting - just couldn't do it!  Had to come in, calm down, look up how to inject on lots of websites.  then plus husband to hold her, did a sq over ribs.  I'm off to see the neighbouring sheep farmer to get to grips with the neck injections.  Poor thing - bumps all over from 4 injections a day and it does hurt her.

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:56 am »
I do feel for you (and her).  You deserve to pull her through.  :fc:

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 12:54:32 pm »
She's slowly getting better - down to 2 x 5ml injections of penicillin today - thank goodness.  Lifting her up to try and get some life into the legs and putting her over a haybale - but need a smaller bale as her legs don't reach the ground! 

Little offerings of grass, rose leaves and she even has one of my pots of overwintering parsley in front of her!!

Asked vet today how long do I carry on and he thinks she may make it - she is having lectade plus every day so that will keep her alive and she is cudding a little bit so she is managing to nibble something. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 02:22:30 pm »
Try her on some ivy leaves, it's a good pick-me up for goats. No flowers/seeds though, but ivy and maybe bramble leaves should be around just now...

:fc: :fc: :fc:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 07:05:23 pm »
Will she make a full recovery fifixx or will there be a recurrance do you think?  All the best with her though, lovely she has such a caring owner, wonder what happens to ones that don't.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »
Sounds encouraging if she's cudding.  You deserve her to pull through after all your hard work with her.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:47 am »
If she does pull through, she should be OK - sometimes they stay a bit droopy on one side apparently.

She seems a bit weak this morning - I have cut the injections down - but probably lack of food.  Soaking sheep nuts which I'm going to add to pureed grass and the lectade drench plus a bit of brewers yeast and probiotics: sounds almost like a posh liquid diet!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:43 pm »
Give her some live yoghurt asap...........the antibiotics will also have killed off the gut bacteria !!!
Give her as much as she will take........it wont be proper digestion/cudding without gut bacteria.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 08:42:39 am »
I''ve put some probiotics in her drench.  last night she got something stuck in her throat as I was drenching her - a leaf or something, so tiny bit worried this morning!  Gave her some drench early this morning but she was still a bit gaggy - so need to have a look

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 06:54:14 pm »
So much better! Last night she stood up and walked to the water bucket, just a few steps.  Today, she did the same and stayed up while eating some grass.

She is still blind in one eye, that may or may not get better.  I am still giving her 3 ml penicillin daily and plenty of tlc - although we had the first kids this evening, so masses to do!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 07:05:02 pm »
Sounds like you've turned a corner - that's really good news and kids too what a good day - really glad for you  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 08:40:30 pm »
 :thumbsup:   for your goatling and  :thumbsup: for the kids too!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:06 pm »
great news and a very lucky girl for having such a great owner  :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS