Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Total White Out.  (Read 6382 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Total White Out.
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »
Went down to Maud to stock up on feed as this week is looking grim. On the way back, heavy snow falling making driving almost impossible. so glad when it stopped. Got a message from a friend last night to say that Orkney and Shetland could have up to 48 foot waves. Scarey stuff indeed. When is it going to get better ?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Total White Out.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:40:20 pm »
We have had no end of galeforce winds this last few months.Yes, we are on the backbone of the Pennines and battered from Eastand West,but these gales are frightening, and do some damage.  Never used to be this bad.

ATM its blowing a gale, and the gusts are really bad.  Keeps hailstoning, but apparantly we have snow due tonight, and with this wind, it will drift.

Can't see the hay staying in the field for the ponies and the sheep.......unless we anchor it down!!
Hens are walking sideways, trying to keep upright - silly devils should go inside :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:43:45 pm »
It's been the same here this afternoon - one minute it's alright and the next you can barely see 3 feet in front of you  :o
Hope it all blows away soon and without any damage (the weather that is, not Shetland  ;)) :thumbsup:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:17 pm »
 :roflanim:  Yes, if Shetland itself blows away, there will be some very unhappy residents.  The way its blowing here, Derbyshire may end up resiting itself in Shetland.  So if you see me, and all my livestock flying through the air.....do give us a wave, won;t you?

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:53:59 pm »
It's been awful here too, one minute sunshine and the next a complete whiteout and driving hail :(
.....and the quad conked out on me while taking a bale of hay down to the ponies. Stalled in gear and I could not get it back to neutral, so had to manually change it (now at least I know how to do that :thumbsup: ) ........all in possibly the worst hail storm that I have even been out in. But had to get it moved as I was blocking the road :-[ :-[
Hope everyone is alright and this wind goes away soon :fc:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »
I am fairly sure Shetland is well anchored.

50 miles West of Shetland (on an oil rig) it is quite wild, waves about 18m this afternoon which are big by any-ones standards.  It is not that windy though (55kn gusting 65kn) - relative to what it can be like sometimes.

It is mesmorising and awesome watching the waves rolling toward us and feeling 40,000 tons of rig shake when a big one hits.   I would normally really enjoy it but I was supposed to be going home today, can't see me getting home until thursday now... >:(

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:58:29 pm »
Ugh!  The thought of those waves makes me shudder :o .  I have definitely gone soft since moving to the South coast :relief: but the mud is driving me insane :gloomy: .

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:39 pm »
I would be terrified on a rig with these winds. Hope you get home soon oor wullie :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 06:46:20 pm »
Sorry you're not going to get home on time Oor Willie  :-\

Horizontal sleet here when I was feeding.

Which led to a funny situation. I moved the sheep on Sat for scanning and two silly ewes managed to get separated, over one beck but not the next and therefore stranded.

Went looking for them today, hoping they were hungry enough to brave jumping the beck. Hood down tight, getting dark, horizontal sleet. Shouting for them and peering into the gloom, walking up the ghyll where I last saw them. I had left open the netherfield gate, just in case they sorted it out and wanted to rejoin the flock. At some point I turned round to find forty odd sheep had come from the netherfield and were now following me in puzzled silence, including the two missing ones  :roflanim:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:15 pm »
 ;D  brilliant, hope you had big pockets full of treats.  Did you shout 'BOO!!!!'
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 07:07:44 pm »
Yes it was like that Grandmother's footsteps game  :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:07 pm »
Hope you are all OK  :fc:

We've had a pretty dry day with sun and cloud, but it started to snow about 4pm, just light but lying. Gone now and wet.

Dan's nephew was sent home from school in Crieff today. Last week, the polis brought him home - because of the snow.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 10:32:18 pm »
Was?  Was he caught nicking it?   :roflanim:

It's been ok here in Shropshire during the day, although a tad windy but now I can hear a gale blowing outside and I have to go and do the milking in a minute.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »
Had a terrible thunderstorm about an hour ago.....and lost all the power in our caravan. Me and George the cat were just about to hide under the duvet, when the lights came on again.  Then it pelted it down with hailstones, and just looked out to see a good few inches of snow.......and its freezing, so got the duvet round me and George :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 11:53:37 pm »
Hope you are all OK  :fc:

We've had a pretty dry day with sun and cloud, but it started to snow about 4pm, just light but lying. Gone now and wet.

Dan's nephew was sent home from school in Crieff today. Last week, the polis brought him home - because of the snow.
Good grief, two of my grandchildren are at Morrisons in Crieff - no word of them being sent home.  Must check in with Sarah
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS