Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Murphy update!  (Read 8986 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Murphy update!
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:31:48 pm »
Our murph is nearly 6 months now and we have news on his parenting which has made my day! Dad is a border collie from nearby farm (not samoyed as was initially thought) and mum is a JR/yorkie cross. So he is a real mishmash but I can at least look towards certain traits and I believe my understanding of his parenting will make me a better owner (I hope!)

He is so eager to please, returning now from distances when I call him back - even when he has the scent of something he will come when called. He comes along for school run and apart from when other puppies are there, is calm and very well mannered on the lead.

Toilet training we've mastered (touch wood). No accidents in the house for nearly 2 weeks _ I know, don't count my chickens  ;)

Good citizen training classes start Feb. Neutering and chipping Feb 8th.

cat is settled with him but is still the boss ...he has also learnt to respect and not chase the chickens, although he does stare them down  ;) - will never leave him unsupervised though.

Sheep and goats are used to him and still have the bossy ewe put him in his place but I've set up a safe place (hurdles that only he can get into) and if I say "in your box" he runs in out of harms way. He stalks and stares and has herded them once  :innocent:

All in all - perfect family dog that also fits into our little smallholding brilliantly. Oh and he chases rats... :excited:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Murphy update!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:08:12 pm »
Well done you and well done Murphy.  :thumbsup:

Could do with some piccies though  :eyelashes:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:13 pm »
Not sure if this one is working...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:32:03 pm »
and another...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:43:14 pm »
 :roflanim:  It's working Plums.

Just shown my daughter and asked her what kind of dog do you think this is. Straight away she said a collie  :o  .... no hesitation.  How about that????? Told her that his dad is one and she says he looks just like one too.

He is really cute.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:15:22 pm »
I've been arguing that he's a collie since we had him. The lady (a friend) we bought him from, was convinced that her Sammy was the dad but now even she agrees a neighbouring collie boy got in there first  ;)  Just to see him with the sheep and his version of 'the eye' and I have a feeling he really is BC and that this outweighs even his terrier traits! Love him to bits, he's so good with the children. Looking forward to him getting a little more lax on the lead though, my shoulder hurts!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:19:52 pm »
He is growing up fast. Sounds like a super dog to have around  :love:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:27:48 pm »
You are all doing so well with him, :excited: we watched a programme about some very rich people who lost it in the end but, there dogs pooooooed every where....all dogs can have a mistake, after all if we need to go we can get up and let ourself to the toilet, dogs usualy cannot....when we had the last litter it was warm and they could get in and out thier puppy room and none pooped in thier room, all went outside, it was so cute.........before you know it he will be dancing on BGT :innocent: :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:46:35 pm »
He's lovely and it sounds as though he's settling in brilliantly.   :thumbsup:

Your shoulder shouldn't hurt, though, because you . ARE . NOT . LETTING . HIM . PULL . ON . THE . LEAD . ARE . YOU?!  NOT . AT . ALL .,  EVER.   >:( 

Seriously, they will very quickly develop a habit of leaning on the lead - so if he's pulling, you simply stop.  You move forwards only when the lead has some slack in it.  He's half collie, he'll learn really quickly IFFF you are totally consistent  ;)

But if that's your only real problem, you are doing a great job with a lovely pup  ;D :thumbsup: :love: :dog: :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:02:57 pm »
Well he is just gorrrrrrrrrrrrrgeous  :love: .  Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job with the training despite an achey shoulder  ;)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:33 am »
 ;D  no you are right Sally - never let him pull  :innocent:  seriously though, I must be sticking at sorting this out and as of today, I will try harder. I've been stopping. Turning around. Trying to hold his attention etc. And if I talk to him, he walks beautifully looking up at me all the while but its on the way to school to collect the children. He pulls ahead, panting like a mad thing to get to them.
we also need to work on his knicker obsession. Won't be long before he delivers a pair to me when I have company round or something  ::) 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:57:01 am »
He sounds like he's doing brilliantly and you've done so well with him  :thumbsup: Lol on the knickers obsession  :roflanim: Yes, good plan to work on his pulling as it's a pain (metaphorically and literally) to have a dog that does, but otherwise I'm very impressed with what you've achieved with him  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:54 am »
The knicker thing is weird. Its like he's trying to get the full collection as he'll find a pair of mine, one of hubby's (pants not knickers in that case!) then one each for the kids. He puts them in a pile where he can keep an eye on them  ::)
When Scarlett, the youngest, was poorly he sat with his head on her bed just watching her sleep. He's only a puppy still but is acting like a wise old man at times! 

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 08:50:53 am »
Plums, he sounds just gorgeous  :thumbsup: I love the pic with his specs on. He looks very intelligent. As for knickers and pants there is nothing my Archie likes better as well, with the odd sock thrown in too  ;D
The Good Citizenship class should be able to help with pulling on the lead if you haven't mastered it by then.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 09:37:22 am »
Plums, Alf, now 7 yrs old, can heel off lead but still has a tendency to pull when he is on lead and is somewhere exciting  :excited:  . If I carry a walking stick, he associates this with gundog training, he then heels properly.  ::)  Obviously a fault in MY training and not HIS fault.

I think it is so much harder when your dog is a family pet. Quite rightly your attention on the school run and other outings has to be split between dog and children. Alf will "take advantage" and knows full well when I can't give him my full attention and insist upon totally good behaviour from him. Also, when I am firm with him if we have visitors, he does a defiant, submission thing and lies down pitifully as though he is a really poor soul .... his method for getting away with whatever he is doing.  ::) ;D

SITN recommended "Understanding BC" by B. Sykes to me. There is a section in their on heel work. You would have to do the exercise at a time when it was just you and Murphy and if I read it correctly he will need to be quite good at sit and stay before you begin. You set off, when dog gets in front he is told to sit and stay, you walk on and he is given command to join you. Repeat constantly. Book has illustrations which make it clearer. I am going to give the method a go. Every little helps. It says that at first you don't walk far  :roflanim: but they soon get the idea.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS