Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating sheep poo and dead mice  (Read 14816 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Eating sheep poo and dead mice
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 03:24:12 pm »
Dot is very picky with what food I put in her bowl - but sheep poo, pig poo, fox sh*t, rancid old goodness knows what she finds out on our rounds... these are highly delectable.  Top favourite with all the collies is the smelliest yellowest runniest baby calf poo; lambs' meconium a very close second  ::)

This thread has reminded me of a thread we had on a work database many moons ago when I worked on a big computer system project.  Most of the discussions were proper work-related ones but we inevitably had some light relief ones too, of which a favourite for some weeks was, "What 8 out of 10 cats and dogs really want to eat"  :D

We all agreed that cats wanted mouse-flavour Whiskas and didn't want garden vegetables  :P and that dogs wanted things like "Fox Sh*t, Last Night's Curry and Smelly Old Bone" flavours. :roflanim: 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:57 pm »
If the dogs roll in anything that stay stinking after a bath such as fox pooh then smother them in Heinz tomato sauce for 30 mins then bath them. God knows why it works but it does  ;D 

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:10 pm »
I can usualy stop ours eating stuff on walks until they are off hunting.....it always makes me smile when pet food is marketed to look nice to us humans when really they would choose, stinky manky rotting stuff...... :innocent:   Human poo has got to be the very worset

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »
I have no problem with my dogs eating yukky stuff as I got over any shock of that decades ago lol but do they have to eat my bras?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50:12 pm »
It's best not to watch and just worm them regularly. Can't understand any human leaving something behind - disgusting imo
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 07:59:12 am »
just had a half eaten mouse stuck in Murphys lampshade  ::)  He eats my bras too Jackie! and socks, knickers......
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 07:39:18 pm »
My terriers have always eaten any mice they killed - I just let them get on with it. I've never had one attempt to eat a rat, but maybe thats because either they were too excited at the prospect of killing further rats or I just didn't leave them alone with the rats for long enough.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 08:18:09 pm »
...do you know what?    maybe thats what we should eat too!!!   :innocent:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 07:32:23 am »
at least we'd know what we were eating  ;D

Murphy has lost the nack of killing mice, he just catches and sucks them which probably isn't the nicest way to die, so I've stopped him where I can for now - he does eat what snowball brings him though.
Have a rat problem in th ebarn again so maybe he can practise on rats? being bigger he'd be able to shake them like he does his toys?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 08:10:06 am »
You really don't want to let him be catching and sucking rats!!   :o  Dogs and cats who catch rats need to know how to dispatch them quickly and cleanly, or they'll get bitten - and rat bites are nasty bites.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 08:21:53 am »
No, that is what I thought! He doesn't seem able to shake mice but shakes his toy (rat sized) really well  :-\ how do they learn and what on?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:39 am »
In my experience, mice seem to small to be shaken. My terriers always crunched mice but shook rats.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:13 am »
I remember having 2 cats that fed the 2 dogs mice, all you would see is a tail hanging out the dogs mouth.
The other day (lost track of the exact day...) we went for a different walk with our 3 Labs, the Yellow is daughter to our Black Lab, they tend to be running full pelt and going through rough stuff all the time....then there is our Chocolate Lab, she will trot off and stay more around me...well they all went off and the Chocolate came back with what appeared to be half a deers head, it did not smell bad so it was reasonably fresh (poacher) she walked all the way to the end of the walk and all the way back, approx 5 miles, she kept the Deer head in her mouth all the time and walked next to me with her prize, we decided to let her take it home , when they got into the car, the Yellow Lab took it off her and ate the lot!!!! Cunning dog to get the other one to carry her lunch!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS