Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear Tags  (Read 4047 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Ear Tags
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:52:50 pm »
I have just noticed the advert on here for "Tags 4u.com" and it reminded me how much I dislike the things. Some of my Pygmy's have lost theirs and I will not replace them as they do not leave my property. However, the Toggenburg kids I have have suffered terribly with these awful things. Now I know how things have to be recorded etc but these actually cause harm and distress to my goatsl. Freddy has lost both his but Gizmo has both and what a damned mess one of them was in again today.

I spent ages cleaning it as it was in such a yucky state and the poor thing did not want me to clean it up at all. Surely with animals that are so playful, nosey and mischevous as goats there should be a much better, safer system???? The only ones that suffer here are the poor goats!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ear Tags
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02:20 pm »
I know animals bred for meat can't be microchipped, but can't they be tattooed like my pups were - 10 seconds of pain then a cuddle and it's all forgotten.  My first Brittany was tattooed as a 6 week pup and we could read his number the day he died 16 and a half years later!  PR843 - Sire Puk, Dam Rolline, born 1984, 3rd pup in the litter.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:05:44 pm »
We used to tattoo goats Annie, but the powers that be (ie Brussels) demand that the id numbers have to be able to be read without catching the animal.So they insist it has to be tagged. We can tag in one ear, and tattoo in the other, but the tattoo has to have two different numbers on it, and the markers we have you can't fit the 2 numbers into the kids ears.

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:15:24 pm »
Talking about goats being mischievous - earlier tonight Kenny was cooking in the kitchen and I was in the bar. I heard him shout on me which was strange as there was a table of 4 in. As i got near the kitchen door I saw the back end of a goat. Gizmo (12 wk old BT) had broken through the trellis that's on the front of the gate(which is to stop them from climbing through) and had come inside to find his dad!!! He came running towards me as he was so happy to see me, how could you be mad at him eh?

The gate has now been re in-forced and we hope this will stop any future escapes.

Luckily the table that were in were friends and the funny thing is one of them has been having dental problems and 10 minutes earlier had requested one of the goats chew her food for her as a joke to make it easier for her. I hope no one on here are EHO officers hee hee hee.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:27:22 pm »
Better make sure that gate is really secure and they can't go anywhere if they jump on the shed roofs again.  That's a busy road out there past the bridge!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:48 am »
I read somewhere that there is a move afoot to force Brussels to make a new ruling which bans neutering, dehorning and tagging amongst other things.  (All things which can or do cause distress to the animals).  Cant find the article, will post a link if and when I come across it again.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:39:53 am »
I have just had the vet out as I was worried about both of Gizmo's ears due to catching his ears in fences etc. Gizmo is now 14 weeks old and has always had problems in his ears created by the damned ear tags, luckily both of Freddy's fell out a long time ago. However, we have kept them clean and tried to stop infection. But, over the weekend both ears have been really horrible to look at inside and we knew cleaning wasn't enough. So, Morag the vet came  out and we have removed both the ear tags. I have to say that I am horrified at the pain that wee man went through, all be it just for seconds but he screamed like a baby each time the tags were removed. She did inject him with some local anesthetic but he still was not happy. Both ears have now been cleaned up and in a few days will be healed up. I was not comfortable watching or being part of such a horrible experience so surely some of these idiots that insist we torture our animals in this way should come and witness what I have.

Even afterwards he was trembling and unhappy. Luckily after 10 minutes he was away climbing the trees again, I am happy now the tags have been removed.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:10:02 pm »
Yesterday we had a visit from the Aniaml Health Officer, Fife Council. This was a social call as she has become a friend and enoys coming here to see "happy" animals. I told her about removing Gizmo's ear tags and she said she was happy with them not being replaced on "medical grounds". She could see for herself that his ears are still a mess but they are healing slowly. I was surprised that we were not told to replace them but very happy with her acceptance.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:51:58 am »
Hi to all,

I totally agree with you all about tattooing,slap marking etc.
But rules are rules and while they are there with have to stick to them
I once had a long discussion with the Vet at my local abattoir about slap marking.
I said that I thought it was totally cruel and barbaric to hit a pig with a metal plate with pins in it that has being dipped in tattoo ink.
He came straight back and said "what about all the young one's that are getting tattoo's on their backs and arms etc".
I merely told him that at least they had a choice unlike the poor pig.
But while the rules are there I will adhere to them.
Kind regards
Joe

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS