Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How late can gestation go?  (Read 2812 times)

rbeckett1

• Joined Jan 2013
How late can gestation go?
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »
 ???
We have two "sister" ewes, each were with the ram at the same time. One had her lamb two weeks ago tomorrow. The other we have in the jug. She looks miserably large, and has had her milk in for a month or so now. She's healthy, up and moving, eating, etc. HOW LONG CAN THIS LAST??? I called the vet, and she said as long as she's acting ok, to just let nature do it's thing. Oh my gosh, really? She is so big...and this is her first time. She is now a bit over 2 years of age. So, any advice?? We are worried about the babies....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: How late can gestation go?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »
How long were they with the ram and did you see them both served?

It's possible they came into season on the same day, or nearly - sisters often do - but it's equally possible they have different cycles.  If so, her due date could be anything up to 17 days after her sibling's.  And that's assuming they both cycled and held first cycle; if the ram was with them more than 17 days then it's possible this one didn't cycle or didn't hold the first time around, so then it could be up to 33 days later...

As to her size, she may be carrying twins or even three, so could be quite a bit larger than her sister without it being an indication of a problem.

When you say her milk is in, what do you mean?  Have you squirted milk from the teats?  If so, I'd think an explore may be indicated.  If you just mean she has a bag - well, some of them can have quite a bag for weeks before they lamb...

Are you keeping this sister on her own now?  She will be miserable if so.  I appreciate you want her handy in case of problems, but she will be depressed if she can't at least see and talk to other sheep.  Personally I'd run her with her sister and check for swollen vulva, springing udder two or more times a day - maybe bring her in overnight if you're really worried but let her be with her sister during the day.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:56:04 pm »
Sound advice from Sally, as always  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:41:13 pm »
I agree - sheep sisters vary as much as human ones.  We have a ewe that always looks the size of an overstuffed sofa trundling around the field by the end of her pregnancy but she never has more than good-sized twins.  We also have some ewes that bag up by 15 weeks.  I personally prefer not see if I can squirt milk from a teat as it breaks the plug sealing the teat and can provide a route for infection such as mastitis.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:57:00 pm »
I personally prefer not see if I can squirt milk from a teat as it breaks the plug sealing the teat and can provide a route for infection such as mastitis.
I agree completely - I can only think of one circumstance in which I'd express milk from an unlambed ewe, and that's if I suspected she already had mastitis.  I test both teats when she lambs - or is well-advanced in the process of lambing - but not before.

I wasn't suggesting that the OP did this, only enquiring as to what made them sure the ewe 'had her milk in'.  Apologies if my wording was misleading.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS