Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crossing a GFD with a Shetland  (Read 3896 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Crossing a GFD with a Shetland
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:53:21 pm »
Hey Guys
Long time, no speak!  ;) Been away a while. Not for any TAS reason... got poorly, got a boyfriend, got Christmas etc etc! 'Tis good to be back.
Anyway, I am picking up two new sheeples this Weds... at long last I have gotten myself a couple of GFD ewe lambs - 9 months old.
I was thinking about next year putting them to my Shetland ram maybe. Has anyone done this cross and how did the lambs turn out? Has anyone got any pics!
I am pretty super excited. have wanted this gorgeous breed for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages!
Thank you
Lisa x x x
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Re: Crossing a GFD with a Shetland
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:58:39 pm »
I know Bramblecot has GFDs and Shetlands and has considered the cross for sheepskins, you two should get your heads together! ;)
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:09 pm »
Gosh - they would make ace sheepskins...except I can never eat/kill any of mine! LOL! I am a useless farmer! Heheh! I wonder what they would be like for spinning! Hmmm! Will have to track down Bramblecot!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »
 :wave: hello mallows, I've just spotted you and commented on another post.  ;D merry Christmas

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »
 :wave: Heya MammyShaz.... how the devil are you???? x x x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:51:29 pm »
 :wave: great to hear from you. Great Christmas here, all very spoilt. A surprise incubator for me so chicks for Easter  :excited:. Glad you have had such a good Christmas. Gaming gadgets are ruling here at the moment too, will be reducing the time soon as I cannot cope with the lack of conversation  :huff:

Quadzy keeps asking if anyone has been on the kids section so will lovecto hear Pufflepets christmas gaming ( just keep them away from xbox online  ;) )

So where's the piccies of your new girls  :innocent: I've recently seen some piccies of GFD and they are soooo cute  :love:  I will be watch with interest about the fleece too, being a new spinner  :innocent:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:56:08 pm by Mammyshaz »

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:16:48 am »

We keep a few Shetland ewes ,they are fantastic mothers and this little ewe who by the way broke her front leg by getting trapped in a hay rack a few years ago(you can see it bent ) she was crossed with  G.F.D Ram and produced these little lambs.
I guess you will be thinking about crossing the other way around- Shetland Ram X Dartmoor ewe, so not sure what that combination will produce :thinking: .

Tilly :wave:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:18:54 am by Tilly »

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:35 am »
Lisa, have sent you a PM but neglected to put a subject line which should have been 'Gotland Sheep'
Amanda x

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »
Hi Mallows!

I'm making the most of the daylight and DRY :o :o weather with no snow either ;D .  Will be back on later.  Have crossed GFD ram with Shetland ewe this year, lambs due April.  I think they will have flippers as it is so wet in their paddocks.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 05:58:31 pm »
Hi there, we crossed our shetland ewes with our GFD ram (and he was very big compared to them). All had good sized single lambs (nearly all girls) who are very sturdy and hardy but with lovely fleece and very cute faces. Not sure what it would be like the other way round but definitely would recommend this way as we were super pleased with the lambs we had and have kept them all, although one boy will be going to the other place in time for easter as he is finishing nicely.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:45:00 pm »
In the interests of maintaining native breeds and keeping them spread throughout the UK as insurance in case of disease outbreak had you thought about breeding pure?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS