Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Favourite meat sire  (Read 2478 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Favourite meat sire
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:36:45 pm »
Wondered what you folks on here rated as a top meat sire breed, and the rams qualities. Thanks all  :thinking:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Favourite meat sire
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:49:07 pm »
My absolute favourite for ease of lambing and wonderful lean tasty meat that grows on grass alone with no creep etc has to be Dorset Down.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:02:47 am »
I Like suffolk's personally. They grow extremely quickly and theres always a market for them :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:56:40 am »
I vote Charollais - easy lambing, lambs grow really well, great conformation, weigh well for their size, tasty succulent lean meat  :thumbsup:  Lovely fleece too, if you spin.  Tups generally pretty placid - although very greedy and can knock you over in their greed  ::)   Only downside is the lambs can be fairly bare-skinned (which is one of the things makes them easy-lambing) - if this is an issue where and when you lamb, get a tup with plenty of wool on his head, and keep those plastic lamb jackets handy  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:11:13 am »
Interesting the breeds mentioned above have the Southdown in their background!  It was probably the first breed to be improved (by John Ellman of Glynde in Sussex around 1780).  A friend of ours who's hugely knowledgeable about sheep and butchery says he can never decide whether Southdown or Portland is the most delicious.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »
Did you ever try a southdown tup on a portland ewe?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:30:50 pm »
Nah, I breed pedigree, registered Southdowns as my main breed but also put them on a breed that the farmers around here will recognize and sell the crosses at market.  SDs give a good carcase without lambing priblems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS