Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear problems - update  (Read 6067 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Ear problems - update
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »
My poodle, Archie, had a problem with his right ear back in Dec. He kept scratching and scratching and apart from the obvious problems it was causing him it kept us awake all night too.
I took him to the vets and they had a tentative look, said his ear was red but there was too much hair to see anything, especially as he didn't like it being touched. The gave me some canaural to put in for 7 days and it seemed to have done the trick.
For the last couple of weeks he has had the same problem with the left ear. I have been putting the drops in and although it is helping the problem isn't really going away.
I have now made arrangements for him to go to the vets on Monday and put under anaestethic so that they can have a good look in both ears.
I understand that its common practice for poodles to have the hair stripped from inside their ears as they are prone to ear infections. He has never had this done but whilst he is under would be the perfect time.
Can anyone else advise what they do?
thanks
Sally
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:07:51 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Ear problems
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:10 pm »
hi we showed mini poodles for many years only stopped as arthritis stopped the work involved in clipping and we lost our last poodle in 2010 aged 19 yrs old
 we routinely plucked the ears once a month and did ear cleaner at the same time.
I would definitely consider getting them plucked while he is under
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:55:49 pm by sokel »
Graham

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:21:51 pm »
Sally, the hair in the canal is very soft and easily pulls out..
 I nip some between index finger and thumb and pull quickly, repeatedly until the canal is clear. they don't really notice it.
The bacteria and yeasts that cause ear infections love warm damp canals with low air circulation. There's no better a place than a poodles wooly ear for this  ;D . Keeing the ears plucked will reduce the problems for ear infections, and using an ear cleaner every month or so will take away excess wax that may also block small dogs ear canals.

Ask your vet  to pluck them under anaesthetic while his ear is sore then you can keep on top of it afterwards  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:43:47 pm »
Soekl, Mammyshaz,
thankyou both for your advice. :)
Its decided, I am definitely going to get the vet to do it on Monday and once the ears are clear I think I will be able to keep them that way myself. 

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:47:44 pm »
Just noticed, I've repeated your advice Sokel, sorry  :eyelashes:
Great minds  ;)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:03:18 am »
Certainly need plucking every month, as previously said if they're sore better when he's under, the hair pulls out quite easily but can be a little hard to grip (covered in wax), so get som ear powder, thornit or similar from your pet shop, this is talc like and helps gripping the hair, when the ears are clear of soreness you can clean them with ear cleaner, just put a couple of drops in and massage the ear canal, remember this is quite long in dogs but you can feel it under the ear, then using cotton wool wipe them out, don't use small cotton wool or push it into the ear, really bad thing to do, just wipe them out, then pluck them once a month.

If you don't want to do this your local groomer should do this as a matter of course.

I love grooming poodles, lion cut anyone?, only £40

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:36:17 am »
Alistair you could groom mine if you were nearer  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 10:06:28 am »
It's a common problem in breeds with flap ears too - spaniels, in particular, but at the moment one of my Brittanys has sore ears. I used to put boracic powder in my Cockers' ears every Friday night after cleaning them and never had a problem.  Don't think you can get it now but I believe Thornit is a good alternative.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:30 am »
As they got older, some of my retrievers developed ear problems/infections.  The vet told me to wipe the inner ear with a little olive oil on cotton wool ..... not too far down though ..... on a regular basis. It seemed to help.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 12:26:32 pm »

I love grooming poodles, lion cut anyone?, only £40
that's very cheap
 I was getting £ 75 in the late 90s early 2000s to get them ready for a show
Graham

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 03:04:11 pm »
Mates rates...

No honestly, that's for a teddy cut, mind can't remember the last time anyone asked for anything interesting

I'd charge about £60 for a show dog, if anybody round here asked, mind it's so long since I did a lion cut it'd take me about 3hrs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »
So dog groomers make £20 an hour?  Wonder if I could retrain at 69?  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 03:16:26 pm »
No, averages out at about £15, been clipping springers this morning, 1.5hr each + 1hr chatting to the owner, so 4hrs, charged £60 for 2
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:18:48 pm by Alistair »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 03:53:02 pm »
I just get a teddy cut (I think) and it costs me £28. It takes her about 2 hours.
I would like to learn to do it myself. I have a video and books but really need hands on experience.
Sally

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Ear problems - update
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 05:12:34 pm »
Well he went to the vets today for a through ear examination whilst asleep.
Good thing is that they didn't find any ear mites, but said he has a very small ear channel and their was a lot of debris in there which they checked with a microscope to make sure there wasn't anything nasty. With all that hair its a breeding ground for anything. Hair has been removed and they put in some antiseptic and some soothing lotion.
At the moment he is fast asleep. Ahhh, peace  ;D
Now I just need to make sure that his ears stay clear of hair by plucking it regularly.
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS