Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhubarb Champagne  (Read 36275 times)

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
Re: Rhubarb Champagne
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 08:57:39 pm »
My lot does not appear to be fizzy and its been bottled for 2 weeks now...
tastes lovely but bubbles would be perfect.. :chook: :chook:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »

OK, so following Greenerlife's advice, I've just gone ahead and bottled mine, bubbles or no bubbles!

Here are some pics of the process. It was all pretty easy, even with the hens insisting on helping!

Coincidentally, the hen at the back of this picture is actually called rhubarb, so I guess I should forgive their curiosity!

The recipe was really quick to follow - just add everything to the jar, and leave to mingle for four days, after which it looked like this.

As I said in my earlier post, I was a bit concerned that there was only minimal bubbling, but there was a little, so I'm hoping there is enough yeast to continue the fermentation a bit whilst its in the bottles - only time will tell!

The next stage was to strain the mixture through a clean cloth, ready for bottling. I didn't have the proper gear for doing this, so instead used our stainless steel vegetable steamer, which turned out to be absolutely perfect!

So there it is! At the moment it tastes very sweet, with bags of rhubarb flavour, and a slight hint of ginger beer. I've left the bottles to mature for a few weeks longer, and as long as they don't all explode, will report back on the results in due course!!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 06:37:54 pm »
Womble I think that first picture could be taken as mental torture to these poor chooks!  ;D ::) :P

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:09 am »
where oh where are all my bubbles????????????????????????????????????? :-\ :yum:

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 11:37:01 am »
My champers looks a lot more pink than in the pictures and was bubbling after four days, only a thought but if the rhubarb is more ripe (mine was dark red when i started) does that help the fizz?

Rob.  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 11:54:14 am »
At the risk of a major being sent to Coventry.I have never seen oat like it.When I do some it is all pale pink and crystal clear.That on the pictures on here is ? I have in several places told you how I do it and now after the pictures I understand why yours is ready in 6 days and mine not until Christmas.Looks like watter out the Humber and I bet it tastes awful of yeast.ugh bloody horrid. I will make some and give some to Jackie and Sheila for Christmas then they can tell you the difference LOL .If mines dry oh heck egg on face etc;but I can guarantee it will have bubbles in it :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2010, 11:08:44 pm »
Well.............. It flippin well worked!!  Fizzy, tasty, not too sweet, and also tasted very much of rhubarb!

In fact, it worked soooo well that we (hic!) somehow finished off the whole bottle  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2010, 07:16:29 am »
Could you see through it Womble, was it crystal clear, did it have an overpowering taste of yeast ? NO! I bet Uncle Bulgaria wouldn't pass it :D.Another thing the longer you leave it to ferment out the higher the alcohol content."Sum foke ud drink oat" me Dad ud say."Don't know why you bugger abaht wi that weasull watter, wots up wi good honest ale boy?He used to drink Holes Newark Ales Old and Mild from the barrels. Now that was genuine Weasel Wee phew If you could drink that you could surely drink anything ??? ;D ;D :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:18:01 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 09:38:44 am »
Tried my first batch this weekend tastes great, my neighbours also liked it very much, so going to do another batch for the village BBQ. Wizard your right some of us would drink owt! (northern) but thats one of the few things the army taught me in 12 years? oh and never eat the yellow snow? When you say the longer you leave it to ferment out the more alcoholic it gets, does that mean in the bottle or when it's first out in the pot?

Rob.  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59:32 am »
Hello Rob The amount of sugar you add To the must (Don't go over 2 lbs per gallon of must it will only make the finished product sweet and it can kill? spoil the fermentation if there is to much sugar)Do it as you have the first go but leave it in the pail and stir every day for a fortnight keep it coveredwith a damp tea towel.Then pour it into another sterilized pail through a double layer of muslin.Compost the solids and leave the strained wine to settle for a day.Then syphon into sterile champagne bottles DO NOT USE WINE Bottles.Drop 2 or 3 unwashed raisins into each bottle the yeast on the raisins will make enough gas to shatter a wine bottle.It will be very fizzy but not clear as crystal Some folk use plastic bottles If you do don't use litre ones because if it splits the bottle it wastes a litre of wine If you keep your eye on the plastic ones and you see they are swelling up release the cap and let some of the gas out.Carefull you may get drenched if you have left it to long.Do some with some Goosegogs and next year Elderflowers (no green stalks) Try some with dandelion flowers (Yellow petals only) go on it only costs a bag of sugar and a Tsp of yeast ;D :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2010, 11:25:26 am »
Could you see through it Womble, was it crystal clear, did it have an overpowering taste of yeast ?

Nope! It was a mild pink colour, was as fizzy as lemonade, and had a lovely taste of rhubarb  ;)
Overall, it was a bit like a rhubarb version of ginger beer really. Now, I'm not saying mine would win any prizes, but given that Mrs Womble once promised to divorce me if I EVER, EVER filled the bath with bubbling demijohns like my Dad does, even she was pretty impressed with the result (8/10 apparently).

OK, so I will try some 'proper' recipes now, as I have 10/10 to aim for, but I'll definitely be doing this recipe again too (thanks Ginny B!!  :yum:)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »
I can confirm that this rhubarb champagne does contain alcohol - albeit - probably small quantities.

I am allergic to alcohol and VERY sensitive to it - but tried a sip of this and straight away felt the effect (not in my head but in my mouth and throat)

Mind you - ours has gone a grey colour and is fizzy and too sweet I think.

Anybody got any ideas about what to do with the leftover rhubarb?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2011, 09:39:48 am »
We did a load of this recently and it worked well, forming an incredible amount of fizz. When young it was quite refreshing and now, after about 6 weeks, it tastes quite boozy. But it has never really tasted of Rhubarb. Has anyone tried a variation on this method to make it taste better? Stewing half the fruit first perhaps? Or mashing it up? Olly   :yum:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42:53 am »
By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the Brewing sub-board?...
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS