Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So upset  (Read 9041 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
So upset
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »
We went to feed our main flock yesterday morning. Their field which belongs to a friend and neighbour runs adjacent to the railway line. On the other side of the line is another friend's crop field. There has always been a gate on either side of the line to allow for access across for livestock, shooting parties etc. Yesterday morning a group of five Network Rail blokes were removing the gate, gateposts and a stretch of fencing pertaining to on our side of the line. We asked what they thought they were doing and they said they'd had orders from York to carry out the work. None of them had brain cells enough to query the fact that there was a large flock of sheep literally feet from the area they were clearing and that it just might be a temptation to those sheep to pay the railway embankment a visit. Yes, we did have three strand fencing around the perimeter, but, deep snow wasn't helping it to work effectively right now. We and the two landowners who had had no notification of the work being done insisted they put everything back as it had been. They said they would. We went back in the evening to give the sheep a second feed and found that their reparation was very short of the mark. They had neglected to inform us that they'd cut the metal gate in half and their idea of making it good was to prop it against a few shallow bedded posts and wrap a bit of wire around the whole here and there. The sheep had as predicted got through and we couldn't search along the line until we were granted permission for fear of trespass. We have a very biddable flock by and large and most came back by way of a shaken feed bucket. It was hard to do a head count in the dark as we crammed them into our feed yard for their safety. They were happy enough as they got stuck into our feed and haylage but we feared all may not be accounted for. A lovely chap in charge of 'operations' came out and assessed the situation and was so shocked and apologetic. He took photos and sent a report. This morning a headcount in daylight revealed two of last year's lambs were missing. Another chap came out this morning and walked the line, finding tracks which he followed for some time before they became  difficult to trace. The trains were on a 'go-slow' through the stretch of line but our lambs haven't shown up. In the meantime many of all our presold fleeces are covered in haylage and bedding and may not be salvageable. We've been advised to put in a claim, but it won't make up for the nightmare we've been put through.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: So upset
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »
I cannot believe how stupid and ignorant that was...not only could you have lost some of your flock but there also could have been an accident!!
I so hope the sheep turn up.......... :fc:

mind you, most tradesmen who worked at my daughters left her gate open every time they went in and out and she had toddlers and animals........and near a main road.......I worry too about people leaving our gate open, just shows how unthinking and stupid people are...even the clever ones..I would be fuming!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »
Oh, that is such a sad and sorry tale. I am shaking my head in disbelief . I hope you get the lost ones back.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:20 pm »
Oh no!  I hope you get your lost ones back.  Pester the railway people daily to see if they've been spotted.  Maybe have a look on the OS map and see if there are any natural spots where they would end up?
Defo put a claim in though.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:35:06 pm »
Our two wee girls aren't back yet but lots of people looking out for them. They can't now get back where they got out as it's been cordoned off. Fingers crossed they'll suss another way back. Unfortunately it's two of the shier ones.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:47 pm »
Oh heavens, what a disaster - got everything crossed for you that the littlies will turn up somewhere  :hug: .
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:34 pm »
Unbelievable :rant: if not back soon then claim in, they were after all high EBV Texel rams weren't they  :P

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:44:31 pm »
It's hard to believe some people  :rant:  but railway workers really should know better  :huff: <- nearest to a 'tut tut' I could find.

I do hope your missing two turn up - and  :fc: that by the time clipping time comes around, all the sheep have shaken the seeds and stuff out of their neck fleece.  If not, you'll just have to skirt more thoroughly and adjust the price accordingly.  :(

Definitely put a claim in - these people need to be taught a lesson.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:58 pm »
Completely agree with everyone - they should have known better....idiots

:fc:  that they are found or find there way home safely...thinking positive thought..... :fc:

Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28:08 pm »
What utter PLONKERS  :rant: :rant:
Everything crossed for your 2 lambs  :fc: :fc:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »
OH
MY
GODS
I would be absolutely LIVID! :rant: :rant: :rant:
I so hope your little lost ones turn up, check any flocks up and down as when one of mine disappeared she turned up a mile away having been shoved in with another flock ::)
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: [size=78%] [/size]
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 07:27:29 pm »
 :fc: that the missing two turn up. And a claim would be in order  :rant:

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 07:49:12 pm »
Unbelievable! :rant:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:40 pm »
They're back  :yippee: . Waiting at the gate this evening. Bless the wee souls. SOOOOO relieved. Thanks everyone  :hug:

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:05:03 pm »
Whooooohooooo  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS