Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep with ?? broken leg  (Read 14226 times)

jaynetolan

• Joined May 2012
sheep with ?? broken leg
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:33:18 am »
Good morning. I have 3 hebradean sheep. Yesterday my oh found one with her leg stuck in a tree. (mulitsteam hollie). It looks like she had been there a long time, at least 4 hours. He released her but she looked in a bad way, ie, unresponsive, twitching, just laying there. So he fetched her into the house and called the vet. He had to take her to the vet who had a look at her and suggested that she was exhausted and in shock. He gave her an antibiotic and painkiller injection. He said her leg was ok. (front, lower leg, just above her foot). So we made a bed for her in the shed. She just laid there for hours, so I went in after a few hours and made her stand up, something the vet didnt do apparently! and she just kept staggering over. I fed her, good sign, and left her alone for the night. I have just been to her and she is bleating and standing there with her lower front leg just hanging down. It is swollen and feels a bit warm. THE QUESTION IS..... Could I split it and see what happens or shall I get the vet again. I am a novice so am a bit unsure. xxx :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: sheep with ?? broken leg
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:58:19 am »
Defo Ring the vet! If you splint it yourself you may do it in the wrong place and the bones not form correctly. And if i'm honest I would want the vet to come out to you now as if it is broken being in transport will cause more stress, pain and may cause the leg to get worse!

jaynetolan

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:53:13 am »
Its the distress to my poor sheep that is bothering me, I am happy to stand the cost. She doesnt seem stressed now, but will be going to the vets. Every time I ever go to the vet with any of my animals it has been a negative experience, ie, antibiotic inj ? why for a sore leg! I will ring the vet now. xx

jaynetolan

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:29 am »
And my oh says the vet, the nurse and himself had a really,really good look at it, he shaved the leg and had a good feel and they were all certain that it wasnt broken. But it is swollen now and I am not sure its not!!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:19:13 am »
It will be very bruised so will be swollen for a good while yet. If the vet shaved it and had a good feel there is unlikely to be a main bone broken so strict rest for her, with a friend if possible. Dont bandage or splint, it will only cause problems if there are no wounds or breaks.  Make sure she has anti inflammatory pain killers to give. If not phone the vet to pick some up.

Any sheepy people will hopefully give more advice than I can. Hope she recovers soon.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:21:27 am »
I suggest penning her under cover but where she can see the others, so she'll not be stressed by being isolated.  We had a lamb that was well and truly kicked by one of our ewes kicking her legs back when the sheepdog surprised her one day. The vet confirmed her leg wasn't broken and gave her an anti-inflammatory  We put the lamb in the shed with an old ewe for company and it couldn't put any weight on the leg for 5 weeks but is now fine.

jaynetolan

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:25 am »
Thanks everyone. I just need the confidence to make a decision. Anyway, the vet cannot get to us because of the snow, even though my ocardo delivery had no problem! So one of my neighbours is coming to have a look for me, he is a sheep farmer,(I couldnt find him earlier). He is going to treat her, but she is ok and in the shed. Thanks again. xxxxx

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:53 pm »
Its the distress to my poor sheep that is bothering me, I am happy to stand the cost. She doesnt seem stressed now, but will be going to the vets. Every time I ever go to the vet with any of my animals it has been a negative experience, ie, antibiotic inj ? why for a sore leg! I will ring the vet now. xx

The antibiotic will be to prevent pneumonia, which would be a possibility with her left immobile for so long.  The vet will have listened to her chest first - they don't just prescribe antiBs on the offchance they could be appropriate.

A bad strain like that could take weeks to recover; it sounds as if she had her weight hanging from that one hoof.  You were right to stand her, although not with weight on the injured leg, as sheep need to stand to get rid of gut gases by burping, and to pass urine.  The usual guideline is to stand them every two hours in the day.

Good luck with her  :hshoe:    Great choice of breed  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »
mm was going to say if she has been pulling against that leg to pull herself free she could have done some considerable damage without a break. Nerves muscle etc can make you pretty sore for a few days.  give her a little time and close attention hopefully the worst is over now.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 03:05:17 pm »
I thought I'd share a heartwarming story from last year.

We had a few ewes and lambs in a very large pasture with a few quiet cattle.  One of the lambs was found, winded and with a very sore shoulder, couldn't stand at all.  Mother had twins, we decided to bring wounded lamb into the pet box under a heat lamp (as he was pretty cold by the time we found him) and leave Ma outside with remaining son.  Couldn't find evidence of break or dislocation, so it was keeping him comfortable, warm, fed and watered, standing him up every so often, a bit of physio as the pain subsided and letting nature take its course.

We believed that unless he was fit enough to return to Ma within 24 hours, she'd forget him and he'd have to be reared as be a pet.

He couldn't weight bear at all for 48 hours, and it was another half a day before I decided he was strong enough for us to just see if Ma was interested.  She greeted him as though he'd only been gone hours rather than days, so a couple more days in a stable with a private grazing area and the family could go back out together. :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 06:14:18 pm »
One of my goats did this by falling and catching his leg between two hurdles. Luckily I was there and released immediately but left limping and swollen.

Although it could be broken it may just be very badly sprained. I used ice tight or something similar for horses which is like a clay and it helps with swelling and inflammation. Also metacam might help

I would keep penned,warm, fed and try what I did and hopefully she will improve . You could also try animalintex and bandage which will also reduce swelling. Horsey treatments work just as well on other livestock I have found.

jaynetolan

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:11:42 pm »
Thank you again, I love this forum!!! She is limping about but enclosed and with her siblings. I will see how she is over the weekend. xxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS