Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So upset  (Read 9043 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: So upset
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 01:09:08 pm »
Thanks SB. I've sent an inventory of the feed, lambs lost and fleece ruined in the hope we'll have recompense for those. Sent it last night before the ewe lambs returned. Obviously can't claim for the loss of them now that they're back. I said how much distress had been caused but how do you put a figure on that? If we're reimbursed for losses on our upcoming fleece sales (all fleece booked up to a year in advance in some cases and we may lose fleece customers for short and long term) and the feed it will at least be something. Sheep aren't distressed, they've had a right old pig out  :yum:  . It's us that have been through the mill. Mind you, how do you know if the sheep haven't eaten anything dodgy on their adventures that may take time to show? I know for a fact that the embankments are full of ragwort and deadly nightshade in the warmer months. The railway never spray and take no responsibility for seeds taking root on our paddock, we're constantly looking out for the little buggers. I just don't know if the sheep will have had a munch on anything like that. I've seen rosettes of it even at this time of year. If I analyse it all too much my head will explode on the what-ifs. I think we will just claim for the things we can be certain of. God know we need the money but it would all be too complicated for me to get my head around if I stretch the facts.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »
Some people...... :huff:  (referring to the workmen!)

You could claim for the extra time you spent out searching?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »
I'm so glad they're back (sorry, no Internet for 2 days so missed the start of this)

I think you do need to add time and worry into the claim too  :-*

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »
Definitely put in for your time and anyone else's. And your time is not worth £6 an hour - as a farmer you must value yourself correctly!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 08:15:44 pm »
Ragwort in the rosette stage (early spring) is not poisonous to sheep, they can be used to graze infested pasture to control ragwort at that time of year.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 08:55:28 am »
Thanks Anke. That at least is a relief.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 10:06:17 am »
I'm soooooo glad that all are present and accounted for but OMG what absolute morons!!   >:( >:(   I've learned many people that don't work with livestock have no idea or couldn't care less how easily they can escape and stray.  Put in as much claim as you can and definitely add some for your time and most of all stress!  God knows sheep are bad enough at giving us heart failure without other people adding to it needlessly!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 06:07:57 pm »
I go to visit a dog trainer and on the way there is often sheep on the road, I drive very carefuly but still see morons speeding on twisty country roads overtaking me....I am maybe too careful so they speed to pass me :innocent:
A lot of people walk around in life without a thought of anything or anyone, not only livestock :innocent:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33:51 pm »
Got the flock on a neighbouring field now which was reserved for our ewes and lambs come May. Network Rail still haven't fixed the area but for some of that plastic netting. Think we will put a more substantial claim in as it's just not on.

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »
You might want to check the deeds for the land the sheep were on to see who is responsible for maintaining the gates/fences and any conditions attached. It should help your claim if you can cite specifically where they have not met their obigations or have done something they had no right to do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS