Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: All in 1 Pig Calculator - Now available to download from TAS  (Read 123356 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
All in 1 Pig Calculator - Now available to download from TAS
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:37:37 am »
I have produced a spreadsheet in excel that calculates the following:

1. Forward Projected Farrowing date calculation
2. Reverse Farrowing date calculation
3. Cost calculator

In all cases you input your own master data and the remainder is calculated for you.

1. Forward projected Farrowing date calculation

Input conception date, the age at which you will wean the piglets, the age you anticipate they will be to achieve pork weight and it calculates:

1. Projected farrowing date
2. Projected weaning date
3. Projected Pork weight date

2. Reverse Farrowing date calculation

Input the data at which you want the piglets to reach Pork weight, the projected age to reach pork weight, and the age at which you will wean the piglets and it calculates:

1. Required conception date
2. Anticipated farrowing date
3. Required weaning date

3. Cost calculator

Input the date you wish the calculation to be based on, the age of the piglets at that date, the age you anticipate they will be to achieve pork weight, the number of pigs, the unit you purchase feed in (20kg, 25kg, tonne), the cost for the unit and the amount of food you feed (per day / month of life) and it calculates:

1. Projected Pork weight date
2. The cost to achieve that weight
(it also shows the cost of feed / lb and the corresponding feed / day in Kgs)

See the screen shots below .... if anyone would like a copy please PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

No guarantees given but it all appears to be working correctly.  If you find any error or can think of anything else worth adding just let me know.

Pete

Screen shot of Forward projected Farrowing date calculation

Screen shot of Reverse Farrowing date calculation

Screen shot of Cost Calculator

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:10:34 pm by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Farrowing Date and Feed Cost Calculator - and more ...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
Woooooooooooooooooooow..........you have way too much time on your hands! ;D
mandy :pig:
ps they're very good and useful. :thumbsup:
pps have you told the pigs about this :roflanim:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:09:43 am by Fowgill Farm »

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:27:53 am »
pps have you told the pigs about this :roflanim:

They have bought into the farrowing bit but I've kept quiet about the Pork Weight aspect!!  :roflanim:
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »
 I’ve added some additional information as shown below.

The new section ‘Total costs incurred’ works in conjunction with ‘Projected Cost Calculator based on current date / age.’

The number of pigs and the cost of feed is used in the new ‘Total Costs incurred section’.

I’ll email an updated version to all those who have received it already… once any more feedback has been received and actioned by me.

As before, if you would like a copy please PM quoting your email address.

Pete

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:55:50 pm by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: Farrowing Date, Feed Cost Calculator and more ...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:26:09 am »
Very good idea, although I have one of my own already.    Mine makes my piglets "pay" for their mum as well, so that all of her feed and other costs from the previous weaning time to current weaning time are added up and divided by number of surviving piglets/weaners and added to each pig's costs.   Makes for expensive pigs, but that way I feel I have really covered the true costs of producing my own pigs from scratch.    Hope you get some takers, seems like others on here are not enthralled by the arithmetic of pig keeping!    Tamsaddle

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:01 am »
Thank you for the comments Tamsaddle

Because I asked people to PM me if they would like a copy the 'interest' isn't reflected in this thread.  So far I have sent out 9 copies and made a few enhancements along the way.

I will look to incorporate your comments too ... all feedback most welcome and if anyone else would like a copy just ask (and don't forget to include your email address!)

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:04 am »
 :wave: I asked for one and love the fact that thanks to petes hard work I have a much better idea of the costs involed in producing pork.
 Only done it for friends and family so far but have others showing interest, so this will be a godsend :thumbsup:
The last two weaners that I had, I did keep a record of costs, but just in a notebook, so this will make my life much simpler and because I have other pigs I can work out the costs for the weaners.
Also a good point Tamsaddle to include the sows feed in the total costs of the weaners :thumbsup: (not that I need that bit yet - but will do in the future)
And sorry Pete, it did look like people were not interested, so thought I would say that I think it's a great idea and well done for sharing it with us :trophy: :thumbsup: :trophy: :thumbsup:
Pailine

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:14:21 pm »
I too was a notebook girl.  vast sums but excel is the way fwd!  Thanks Pete :)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Farrowing, Feed Cost and now Cost of weaner calculator included ....
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:47 pm »
Hi,

I've done an update to the spreadsheet .... it now includes a new sheet that calculates the cost of weaners taking into account the cost of keeping a boar(s), using AI, and keeping sow(s). Please see the screen shot below.

I have emailed a copy to all those who replied previously .... any more takers just PM or email me.

Note.  This works best with Excel 2010 or later, I have a version that should be compatible with earlier versions although some issues have been experienced with very early versions of Excel

Pete

Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: Farrowing, Feed Cost and now Cost of weaner calculator included ....
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 07:54:20 am »
Wow very impressed.   Will PM you to get a copy - thanks, Tamsaddle

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »
P6te

thank you very much that looks really good  :excited:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:00:27 pm »
Thank you to everyone for comments and suggestions ... I am working on various enhancements and as soon as ready I'll email it to everyone who has previously requested a copy (I've lost count of the number now but have all email address to hand when needed!)

I am looking to build a 'model' the takes into account the total costs in a meaningful way and also looking to incorporate the value of a sow / boar at the end of their 'working life'.

Below is a screen shot of where I have got to so far (on the sheet in question) ... but note that this is VERY much work in progress so some aspects may appear a bit disjointed / incomplete ... you'll see where I'm heading so if you would like to have an input just PM or email me.

As before, if you haven't already requested a copy and would like one just PM / email me.

Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:41 am »
All,

The latest version is now available ... I have emailed it to eveyone who contacted me (if you've not received a copy please let me know) ... and as before any new takers just PM me.  Below are the revised screen shots.

Pig Rearing Cost Calculator

Breeding Cost Calculator

Pig Rearing Date Calculator

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:20:08 pm by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

the great composto

Re: Vn 6 - Farrowing, Feed Cost and now Cost of weaner calculator included
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 08:57:12 am »
 :thumbsup: thanks p6te - more impressed now

domfoy

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: Vn 6 - Farrowing, Feed Cost and now Cost of weaner calculator included
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:32 pm »
Hi, thanks for your hard work. Please may I have a copy?

domfoy@yahoo.com

Cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS