Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Derbyshire  (Read 2535 times)

ashesfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
Hello from Derbyshire
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:13:48 pm »
Hi Everyone

Just joined this forum to meet like minded folk and to expand my very little knowledge on smallholding.  I've started this year with 6 hens and a veggie patch.  I plan to expand the number of hens (between 50 -100) to sell eggs at farmers markets along with other produce such as pies and jams.  Also i want to farm my own pork.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:32:21 pm by ashesfarm »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:40:12 pm »
Hello and welcome!  :wave:

We started with 3 hens and now have 87 layers and a few pure breeds; Crested Cream Legbars, Black Orpingtons and Welsummers. We also get a small batch of day-old table birds twice a year. We sell eggs at the road end and they certainly help with cash flow.

We also have Coloured Ryeland sheep (11 lambing this year) and a small herd of Shetland cattle. We keep a couple of weaner pigs over the summer but have no plans to breed pigs.

Look forward to hearing more about your place  :thumbsup:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »
Hello and welcome from very central Derbyshire....
:wave:
Little Blue

ashesfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:18 pm »
Its early days yet but since keeping hens i've wondered why I didn't do so sooner, not that i'm exactly knocking on at 31 but still it seems very natural to me. I'm looking forward to trawling the forum and gaining as much knowledge as possible.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:21:50 pm »
Hello and welcom from west mids. Hens ducks rabbits and now a pregnant goat and veg patch, all in my back garden :excited:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:51:54 pm »
Hi there and welcome from white and windy Worcestershire

I am certainly getting a bit long in the tooth  ;)  and have parted with the larger animals, down to poultry and pets now.

I love breeding chickens for the range of egg colours they can produce - they look so pretty together (ok brain going in old age  :roflanim:  )

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:07:06 pm »
DBE, those eggs look like the sugar coated ones you can buy.  I had balck hens who laid bluey green eggs.  Much more funs that boring light brown.

:wave: Ashes Farm and welcome from snowy Shropshire.  Like Carl, I'm a back garden smalholder with goats, vegetable beds and fruit trees and bushes.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »
Hello from Derbyshire too!!  We have an Ashes farm not far from us ....where are you?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 08:03:58 am »
Hello and welcome from Durham  :wave: I too have a few hens, fruit and veg. Would love some land to expand, but it's like gold dust.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS