Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First signs of pregnancy?  (Read 5431 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
First signs of pregnancy?
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:02 pm »
Was just wondering what the first signs of a ewe being in lamb. My girls are all shearlings and due in April, what do I look for?

Plan to get them scanned but i cant wait till then!  ;D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: First signs of pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »
I don't scan as small number - I find it hard to tell with the shetands till later but with the moorits they changed shape - such slim wee devils most of the time and then round out a bit sooner in my opinion,  I'm April too and think I can see some changes or could be wishful thinking.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:12:58 am »
Aye, it's a bit early for symptoms, really.  Scan results - usually two months before the due date though some new systems seem to be able to tell a bit earlier - is the earliest!

After that, there's some rounding of the belly - greedy girls full of food can be misleading, of course  ::) - and the first dead cert sign, development of the udder.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:09 am »
For a moment Sally i thought you were going to end with...."As soon as you see a lamb...she's definitely pregnant"  :roflanim: :roflanim:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

I watched mine VERY closely last year (first lambing) and couldn't tell for def. that they were in lamb until udder development occured. When my farmer friends wife came to look at our first lamb, she correctly picked out which of my ewes would twin.  ::)  ...... nothing like an experienced eye.  ;D

I don't think they looked particularly round until about 3 wks before lambing, but they are Soay, and I guess more commercial breeds may show sooner.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25:57 pm »
I have commercial types, mules, suffolks, Southdown x, and they definitely change shape about 2 months from due date but last year udders developed really early and vulvas really pink and swollen almost 8 weeks!

They don't seem so visible this year bar one first time Wiltshire Horn who has been swollen for several weeks and udder starting to swell. She isn't due for at least 2 weeks....I hope!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »
Thats very useful thank you scotsgirl. Mine are suffolk x mules or muffolks as I like to call them:) I hope they do start to show, just have to wait for scanning!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »
The other way i believe you can tell once lambs reasonable size is to put hand one side of sheep and push other so you 'bounce' lamb and you should feel it. Problem is I can't remember which side you hold and which you push!

Also if you gently press up just in front of udder it will feel hard if  lamb present and hollow/empty if not. It's a good way to tell once one lamb out if there Are more to follow.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:03 pm »
The very earliest potential sign is holding to service, if the ram is raddled you can see how many ewes return when the colour is changed fortnightly. After 3 or so cycles those ewes marked only once should be in lamb, but many factors can cause ewes to lose foetuses early in pregnancy so by no means reliable!
Patience and scan results are your best bet  :knit:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
Better clue can sometimes be for them not being pregnant.  If they're skipping around and playing they may well be empty.  Our Badger Face graze dispersed among the Southdowns for 7 months of the year, but once they're pregnant they tend to stick together in the same part of the field.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:55:55 am »
Better clue can sometimes be for them not being pregnant.  If they're skipping around and playing they may well be empty. 
Mine never skip around and play so I don't think this would work as an indicator  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 12:06:52 pm »
And mine always do  :roflanim:

Stood watching them the other day ..... don't know what had gotten into them. Chasing, butting and the tup was leaping all four legs into the air. The ewes seemed quite aggressive with each other and an hour later were back to normal.  ::) ???

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:05:57 pm »
Better clue can sometimes be for them not being pregnant.  If they're skipping around and playing they may well be empty.  Our Badger Face graze dispersed among the Southdowns for 7 months of the year, but once they're pregnant they tend to stick together in the same part of the field.

I really hope that doesn't apply to all breed or I won't be getting a single lamb this year! Mine were all going nuts the other day, pronking and leaping, even the ram who looked suitably embarrassed when he was spotted ;D
Mind you they are all very sedate today standing waiting for me to deliver hay because of the white stuff on the ground. Being sheltands I thought they would scrape the snow away, but no they just shout louder for more hay ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:52:41 pm »
Mine are due in March and I can definitely see changes of shape in many of them.  I've got a fair few first-timers this year so it will be interesting to see what is produced - hopefully something healthy!  Most of the experienced mums are quite obviously pregnant but not all the first timers are as easy to tell.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS