Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Laylandii hedge  (Read 2811 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Laylandii hedge
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:14:32 pm »
Hi,I have been cutting back topping a laylandii hedge today,I moved the electric fence back into the field to keep the sheep out of the way.
Will the sheep eat this the green leaves that I have cut off and is it safe to let them do this.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Re: Laylandii hedge
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:30 pm »
Laylandii is poisonous to sheep along with most evergreens
Pigs are human tooo

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:28:43 pm »
Pigs are human tooo

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:59:45 pm »
Hi,thanks for the reply I'm glad I moved the electric fence now to keep them away,I was going to let them on it but yet something kept telling me not to gut instinct I guess.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:14:03 am »
I was amused to see our neighbours sheep munching on our christmas tree after I put it out at the front, in preference to the surrounding grass. Seemed to be really enjoying it. Needless to say I have not been feeding christmas tree to my own sheep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:38 am »
The Royal Horticultural Society site has a useful list of plants and trees - unfortunately not in simple list form.  It's probably more than you think.  We have wild St John's Wort in our wood, for instance, which is a photosensitiser, so I either have to find it and pull it up or keep the sheep out during the summer.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 11:47:34 am »
I was amused to see our neighbours sheep munching on our christmas tree after I put it out at the front, in preference to the surrounding grass. Seemed to be really enjoying it. Needless to say I have not been feeding christmas tree to my own sheep.

Sheep actually really like some pine needles - my neighbour (my sheep are in his field) is currently felling quite afew of his trees at the boundary. They don't seem to gorge themseleves on them, so I think they quite like them as a wee treat! Obviously Xmas trees that were bought in supermarkets etc would almostc ertainly have been treated with something to keep the needles from falling, so I owuldn't ever put those trees into their field.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:46 am »
I started another thread just after christmas about what to do with christmas trees. I had read somewhere that they were ok for sheep and this would be a good way of recycling.
I put my tree (which came from a farm) in their field and they have nibbled a bit but aren't very interested.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:05 pm »
The Royal Horticultural Society site has a useful list of plants and trees - unfortunately not in simple list form.  It's probably more than you think.  We have wild St John's Wort in our wood, for instance, which is a photosensitiser, so I either have to find it and pull it up or keep the sheep out during the summer.

I red some where of sheep that had been eating st.johns walt,the got sunburn so badly that they ended up loosing there ears.

Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS