Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knitting again  (Read 9824 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Knitting again
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:13 pm »
I've just started knitting again, I only do very small projects eg. dishcloths as it hurts my hands but I find using long kneedles is the way to go as I can grip the right one under my arm and only really move the left one.

Good idea.  My elder son was born without a left hand and with a short forearm and I taught him to knit with one needle under his arm.  It's my shoulders that ached after the other day.  Going to do a bit more tonight and see how it goes.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 05:18:40 pm »
Have you ever tried knitting the continental way? I'm not trying to say it's in any way better, but it uses/stresses your body parts in a different way, and might be easier - or at least might offer a change and reduce the danger of RSS...

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 06:11:19 pm »
Renee
Have you heard of De Quervains tenosynovitis? My OH has this ( rather frustratingly as he is the one renovating the house and doing most of the animal work). He can do most things, but there is a position (e.g. getting mobile phone out of top jacket pocket) which is agony on wrist, that and lugging up our water containers over his shoulder. Ibuprofen helps, but not if he has over worked it doing something...., Apparently the issue is a particular tendon position.

I have just got him a brace, also used for skier's thumb, which he says is helping. It  stops him over using his thumb.....I only wondered as you mentioned solitaire, which is another non-load baring twisty thumb/wrist movement....Not sure if you could knit in it though....I could always ask him to try :knit: ...

Jo

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 07:44:28 pm »
Well, you have the driving instructions now. Or ,the more scenic route, over Norway, 120 kilometres into Sweden then turn right at the Café sign. You know, the crazy thing is, I can put up signs anywhere in my council district. As the council I live in stretches to the Norwegian border, I could always pt a café sign up for you :thinking:
You can always roll out your yarn to find the way home.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
Norfolk Newbie. Thank you Yes, It is something of that kind . It is not that bad yet, but I am careful. At its worst a brace is fantastic. This year I have also been using light braces at times when I sleep. THen , when spring comes and I get shearing sheep the extra strain seems to help it ??? And Luckily I can spin so everything is okey dokey.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 08:26:45 pm »
Well, you have the driving instructions now. Or ,the more scenic route, over Norway, 120 kilometres into Sweden then turn right at the Café sign. You know, the crazy thing is, I can put up signs anywhere in my council district. As the council I live in stretches to the Norwegian border, I could always pt a café sign up for you :thinking:
You can always roll out your yarn to find the way home.

:roflanim: :roflanim:

I've just been on your website and like the look of the wool tops you sell.  I suspect the postage would make it prohibitive though.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 10:22:11 pm »
Hah, you are really finding your way around Ravelry. ;)
Yes, I sometimes get some delicious stuff. I normally warn people when I am coming to England and have my suitcase full of "goodies"
I get a lot of remnants so my if I have something special I earburn interested spinners and felters.
I had an industrial carding unit in Denmark but it was just too big to bring up here. Now I have found a smaller one so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I so miss experimenting with blends.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »
I look forward to your next trip over here.  I trhink that will be easier than tryuing to drive that distance to you.   ;D

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:03:35 am »
I knit in the evening....that way I can be creative whilst watching telly
Make sure you are comfortable with your back and shoulders fully supported and away you go (I often doze off between rows )

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »
I sit in my rise/recline armchair slightly reclined and my legs up.  Lots of cushions to support me as well.  I did some yesterday but my shoulders were hurting so didn't do much.  I'm going to try with smaller needles to see if that is better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS