Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knitting again  (Read 9823 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Knitting again
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:40:28 pm »
Today I decided to find out if my arthriticky hands would still cope with knitting and they did.  Yaaaaaay!  My shoulder gave me a lot of pain though but they may have been because I was on the extreme knitting with very heavy needles.  I think that if I stick to normal size needles and don't do too much, I should be ok.  I'm very  ;D ;D ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Knitting again
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
Great news, just take it easy and pace yourself  :thumbsup:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:03:38 am »
yay for knitting.

Bamboo needles or the knit pro ones (syrofoam I think) are very light on the hands. What's your first project?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:03:29 am »
Woohoo, I'm glad you can  :knit: again.

I find using circular needles and letting the weight of whatever I'm knitting rest in my lap, rather than on the needles, stops my arms and shoulders aching, and helps my also-arthriticky hands.

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:24:06 pm »
From many years of same problem , have found it best to re-start with short busts of 5mins.increasing each day and would agree lightweight needles might help. Crochet is an easy thing on the fingers and also moves them a different way. Keep up the excellant effort.
                                                                  AC's worse half  :knit:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:34:59 pm »
MGM thats great news, what are you going to  :knit: :knit: :knit:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:53:52 pm »
I'm finishing a throw that I started months ago.  As I said, it's on extreme needles and I'm using light green chunky, cream aran weight and three different shades of brown four ply.  A friend said it reminded her of mint chocolate chip ice cream.  Not sure what to do next but I have loads of patterns and have been having fun looking through them.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:16:06 am »
You should see how many patterns I have faved on Ravelry - and I can't knit :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:45:01 am »
LOL  :roflanim:

So... is learning to  :knit: on the agenda?   ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:03:30 pm »

Who are you on Ravelry?  I am Lesleykays.  When are you going to learn to knit?  If you're near me I'd be happy to teach you.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:43:41 pm »
On Ravelry I am reneedarley. I can knit, but have always preferred spinning and weaving, so I have never practised knitting much. I find that using the computer is very hard on my wrists and so is knitting. Strange, as I can work hard, shear a hundred sheep a year by hand, but one game of solitaire and my wrist is :rant:
As I live rather isolated I prefer too chat with people via the computer rather than curl up in my armchair and knit. I collect the patterns because when I spin, I can always see what that particular colour/texture chould be used for - and I dream. Thanks for the offer of knitting lessons. As I say to my friends in Denmark, you just drive North up Sweden for 1000 km. then there is a sign on the left saying Café . Follow the signs uphill for 18 km. and you are at my house.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 01:06:40 pm »
Thanks for the offer of knitting lessons. As I say to my friends in Denmark, you just drive North up Sweden for 1000 km. then there is a sign on the left saying Café . Follow the signs uphill for 18 km. and you are at my house.
MGM, somehow I don't think Renee is quite close enough to you for knitting lessons  :roflanim: 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »
 :roflanim:  :roflanim:  :roflanim:
Going out to shovel snow now - Happy Knitting

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 01:34:32 pm »
I've just started knitting again, I only do very small projects eg. dishcloths as it hurts my hands but I find using long kneedles is the way to go as I can grip the right one under my arm and only really move the left one.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:46 pm »
Thanks for the offer of knitting lessons. As I say to my friends in Denmark, you just drive North up Sweden for 1000 km. then there is a sign on the left saying Café . Follow the signs uphill for 18 km. and you are at my house.
MGM, somehow I don't think Renee is quite close enough to you for knitting lessons  :roflanim: 

No, I was getting that impression as well.  I had fogotten, momentarily, where Renee lives.   :dunce:   Mind you,  I quite like the idea of a holiday in Sweden.   ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS